+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes that's my concern is later on. That's she won't keep up mature wise and then will lean towards the younger or naughtier kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am in qld. I have had the teachers come to me and state their reason why they thought they should be kept down. It was up to us if we did or didn't go with their plan to keep them down.
    All 3 repeated prep.

All 3 had medical issues that were being investigated (aspergers and adhd)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    The problem with so many people holding their kids back an extra year at the beginning of their schooling is that the kids who do go the year they're supposed to are left at a disadvantage because they're going to school with kids over a year older than them. You end up with a two year age spread in each year's class instead of the vast majority being all within a year of each other and a small minority being older or younger depending on circumstances like what @LoveLivesHere described. That age gap only gets more pronounced as time goes on. 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My now 10 year old repeated year 1 when he changed schools. Best thing I have ever done. He was struggling didn't want to go to school etc. Withing a couple of weeks he was thriving

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPhart6 View Post
    The problem with so many people holding their kids back an extra year at the beginning of their schooling is that the kids who do go the year they're supposed to are left at a disadvantage because they're going to school with kids over a year older than them. You end up with a two year age spread in each year's class instead of the vast majority being all within a year of each other and a small minority being older or younger depending on circumstances like what @LoveLivesHere described. That age gap only gets more pronounced as time goes on. ������
    if a child isn't ready for school then they shouldn't go. Personally I'm glad I get a choice as opposed to other states.

Not sure about other states but multi age/composite classes are very common in nsw public schools so there are age differences anyway. In fact, at my school this year, all classes apart from kindergarten are all composite

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (23-01-2015),just her chameleon  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I talked to dd about it and she is adamant she does not want to repeat. We discussed how she feels with her friends in her grade and the grade below and she says she much prefers her current grade. Knowing all this I do think repeating will Make things bad for her. My best bet is to watch and get on top of things instantly if I notice her slipping at all etc.