+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Really dumb questions - catching bus with toddler!

So my DH's car is at the panel beaters and he has decided to go for a boys golf day tomorrow taking my car, leaving me and DD at home without one. PT is horrible in our town - one bus that goes to the next main town leaving hourly. I've never attempted it before with DD (in fact haven't got on it since I was a teen).
    So, rather than being stuck at home all day tomorrow I'm thinking of attempting it with DD but I've got no idea how to go about it. So my super dumb questions are:
    Can you take a pram on a bus? If so do I have to fold it?
    Does DD (20 months) sit on the seat or in her pram?
    Do I have to buy a ticket for her? We're in regional VIC.
    How are toddlers generally on buses? Will this be a really fun adventure or a total nightmare!?
    Thanks for reading this far and bearing with my total ignorance of public transport haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 18 months and loves the bus

I don't have to buy him a ticket and he stays in the pram.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on the bus and how busy it is. USUALLY there'll be space for a pram (where they'd have a wheelchair spot etc). I've never heard of any buses charging for a 20 month old...usually kids under 4 or 5 are free.

DD has done both in the way of seating...stayed in the pram and sat in a seat/on my lap, depending on what she wants and how long the trip is.

Hope you have a great time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids love catching the bus. You shouldn't have to fold your pram or buy a ticket for a toddler. I wheel the pram straight onto the bus.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in regional VIC and we don't have to put our pram down on the bus. We only take it as my 2.5yr old loves a trip on it every now and then. I leave her strapped into the pram

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I think usually under 5 is free

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    So my DH's car is at the panel beaters and he has decided to go for a boys golf day tomorrow taking my car, leaving me and DD at home without one. PT is horrible in our town - one bus that goes to the next main town leaving hourly. I've never attempted it before with DD (in fact haven't got on it since I was a teen).
    So, rather than being stuck at home all day tomorrow I'm thinking of attempting it with DD but I've got no idea how to go about it. So my super dumb questions are:
    Can you take a pram on a bus? If so do I have to fold it?
    Does DD (20 months) sit on the seat or in her pram?
    Do I have to buy a ticket for her? We're in regional VIC.
    How are toddlers generally on buses? Will this be a really fun adventure or a total nightmare!?
    Thanks for reading this far and bearing with my total ignorance of public transport haha.
    my eldest and I bused it til he was 2 1/2,
    at that age I took a pram (stroller with a basket), folded it up and used it to carry the groceries on (I walked one end of the street to the other normally), I folded it down as normally you get ALOT of newbie babies out this way on the bus and they need the pram space my toddler didnt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! We caught the bus this morning and it was a big success, DD loved it. She has spent the whole morning saying 'bye bye bus'.
    Even when I have my car back I think we might catch it more often.