+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about New Zealand please :)

Wanting to go to NZ at Xmas time (I know - I organise myself early haha) but have no idea about which end of the country is better... we have 3 kids, 3, 5 & 7. So if you have anything to share, hit me with it!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I can give you info on the north island as I lived there most of my life.
    If your going in 'summer' (it may or may not actually be summer weather) I'd recommend looking at the Bay of Islands. Beautiful part of the country and heaps to explore. Otherwise you could look into doing Rotorua and Taupo if your into a bit more adventure type stuff. Another areas that is beautiful and possibly a little less touristy is Taranaki.
    How long would you be going for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I love all those places you mentioned! I strongly recommend going to any or all of them, but especially Rotorua.
    I recently came back from the South Island and omg is it beautiful. We stayed in Christchurch And Motueka and stopped in at Hanmer Springs. Would you believe we wore jeans and jumpers and also its still daylight at 9pm? We literally had dinner in the park at 9:30 wearing jumpers and sunnies and left as it was cold hahahaha.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    looking at staying up to 10 days.. now when you say cold....how cold? lol
    Any places have small towns for shopping etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends how much time you have. I know the north island best and would recommend staying in rotorua or taupo and doing Day trips. Heaps of geothermal and natural wonders as well as cultural and adventure activities to keep everyone amused. You could do a day trip to waitomo caves to see the glow worms (took DS1 when 2.5yrs and he just managed to be quiet enough to enjoy it). My Ruapahu in Tongarero national park is great for scenery. They open the chairlifts for sightseeing during summer but not sure about taking young kids on the chairlift? Also lots of beaches within about a 1hr drive.
    The Coromandel peninsula is also lovely, lots of nice beaches (including hotwater beach and cathedral cove) and bushwalking. If you have a train enthusiast the driving creek railway at coromandel township is excellent.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to the north island when our kids were 3 and 6. We hired a campervan. Was easily the best holiday we've ever had. We went in September.

Our route was

Auckland
    Bay of Islands
    Around the west side to come back (incredible forestry)
    Across to waihi (specifically bowentown - hidden gem)
    Rotorua
    Lake taupo
    Wanganui
    New Plymouth
    Waitomo caves
    Auckland

This took 2 weeks. We saw and did so much. It was amazing.