+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Goodstart Early Learning Morningside

Hi all, anyone have any feedback on this centre? It looks like we might have a spot but I'm nervous about moving them from their existing child care where they have been for a few years.

The centre seems fine if a little messy, and it would be a massive amount closer to home, but a friend of mine said to me today 'how do you feel about sending your kids to the McDonalds of childcare?'

The only other things holding me back are that you have to provide your own food which we don't at the moment (and it's so much less hassle!) and that it's more expensive than my current day care. They seem lovely though and I think I'm just anxious because we can't change our mind easily!

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have experience with this service but I wouldn't call Goodstart the McDonalds of childcare. They are a not for profit organisation that seem to have the right ideals. The best thing for you to do is go and spend time there to see how you feel about it. 'Messy' isn't necessarily a bad thing with children, sometimes it means more fun As long as it's not 'dirty'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With all due respect your friend sounds like she has her head up her a$s! What a bizarre thing to say!

I don't have any feedback on that centre, my son goes to a Goodstart and does the Preschool program there. Good start as an organisation seems to have some great ideals, policies etc, all their documents say the right things anyway. I'm happy where my son goes, but I really feel that child care depends on the director and the teacher your child has.

I personally wouldn't move my kids from a centre I was happy with and they were settled in unless there were some pretty compelling reasons.

As for the food thing, I was used to it as my kids did family day care before preschool so I've always packed their lunch (as I will have to continue doing at school!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son goes to a goodstart and I would never have even considered it to be the McDonald's of childcare???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would ignore your friend's ridiculous comment. If you have a good feel about the place then trust that.
    My daughter goes to a goodstart centre. It's a bit 'messy' in the sense that the building is older and not fancy. But wow. .. The staff are amazing. My DD is special needs and they go out of their way to support and encourage her. They are brilliant. Caring..nurturing and lovely.
    A centre. . Like any educational type institution is really only as good as the staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love our Good Start.

It's caring and nurturing with a great community feel. The facilities are excellent and the play areas are fantastic. As an educator for over 15 years I personally can't fault what they do for children and families.

Ours supplies great meals and nappies and all rooms have 360 glass windows with toilet and change areas that are always impeccably clean and tidy. Mess wouldn't bother me though - it's part of learning. There's always at least 3 carers in my DS room and everyone greets him by name each morning. They are regularly evaluated too and always come out above standard.

The activities are also well planned and DS comes home with a range of different things he's made or done each day. They always report to either DH or myself at the end of the day on how his day was.

Your friend kinda sounds like a knob.
    Last edited by babyla; 24-01-2015 at 20:26.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Goodstart Early Learning Morningside

Ridiculous!!!
    I adore our Goodstart, I honestly don't think i could have found a better childcare centre for my DS.
    They are amazing and my DS loves his carers.
    Your friend is being a snot.

Edit: nearly every single carer at our childcare greet DS by name - all of them!! There is over 40 employees and they all greet him with a hello and smile.
    My Mcdonalds can't even get my order right half the time and constantly put sauce on my mcchicken when asked not to.
    Last edited by caribbean; 24-01-2015 at 21:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been to two different goodstarts and they are great. Your friends needs to get her head out her a55.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that your friends comment is absurd. My DD went to a goodstart for 3.5 years and they were so good. She was always well taken care off, staff were approachable and she learned so much.

I always wished that they provided food but I put it down to allergies. Our centre had children with multiple allergies (nuts, fish, eggs) so I assumed that for them to protect them from liability re foods they provided (that is just me speculating though)

Thanks
    Reviews
    can you do a few trial days without pulling from existing care?
    I would also weigh up the savings being closer to home and the time vs the food and cheaper fees.
    We just moved a month ago to a closer ( but slightly more expensive) centre. We are talking $30 more pw, however we were spending 1hr extra in the car each day ( 15 mins total at new one) and 80km pw extra on the car so the extra pw has more than made up for the increase in savings on fuel and time.
    My biggest thing would be the packing own food, that does mean extra time and money.