+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why are my HCG levels low?

Hi all,

I've just been to the GP to get my blood test results. My HCG levels are 217. My LMP was 15/12/14 but my cycles have ranged from 27-35 (usually on the upper end of that) for the last few months. Based on EWCM I'd say I O'd on the 2nd or 3rd of jan. So I should be at least 4 weeks pregnant right? Then why is my HCG so low? At just under 5 weeks with my last pregnancy my HCG was 6720.

I've had no symptoms and just have this weird feeling that something isn't right. Turns out the doctor I went to isn't very helpful. She suggested going for another blood test, but I asked her if my results were outside the range of normal and she said they were ok, so I said don't worry about giving me a referral for another. Now I'm regretting it!

I looked at the numbers and my HCG levels are consistent for 1-3 weeks pregnant. I got a BFP on Friday last week with an internet cheapie, so it's impossible to only be 1-3 weeks along.

Any experience with this? I didn't get worried once in my last pregnancy and here I am this time freaking out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a wide range of normal for HCG levels. My HCG was 95 at 16dpo, which would be 4 weeks pregnant. As hard as it is, all you can do is try not to stress about it. There is a website that shows a range of average HCG levels for different days- can't link on my phone sorry, but I found it useful/interesting when stressing about the same thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much. I'll google that website. The funny thing is that I'm not usually a stresser at all. I might buy a pregnancy test next week and see if there's still a line.

The doctor gave me a referral for a dating scan. She said to wait another 4 weeks before going (it'll be a very long 4 weeks!) The last time I was pregnant my doctor sent me for the scan straight away. I turned out to be 5w2d. I'm wondering if I should just go earlier - perhaps in two weeks - and get it done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ashame you didn't accept the second blood test referral. Hcg levels vary widely but the important thing is that it doubles within 48 hours. I would request further blood tests which will put your mind at ease a lot sooner than your scan will in 4 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to go to a different GP tomorrow and get the referral. I'm kicking myself for not getting it today as it's very annoying taking my toddler to the doctor's office. She made it sound like everything was fine, but really I think she just didn't care enough to tell me otherwise. I'll know by Tuesday or Wednesday I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That level is fine for 4 weeks, the normal ranges are huge! I'm sure the range for 4 weeks is 20-1000, and then it doubles every 48-72 hours so it can go up rapidly

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you ovulated on the 3rd, then you would be 4w5d today
    Was the 3rd the last day of ewcm?

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My obstetrician always tells me that just one HCG test is useless without a second. The only way to know if your levels are what they should be is to have another test in 48 hours. My levels were also quite low to begin with this pregnancy!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tazz475 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all of your responses. They've been really helpful and helped me to relax. The 3rd was the last day of ewcm. I also had mild twinging pain that day, which I'd never had before.

Now that I've calmed down and looked further into it I'm realising not all is lost. The test was on Monday so it's more than possible that I was only 4 weeks or just over.

I'm going to wait until next week to get my bloods done. If symptoms kick in by then I won't bother.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They sound fine to me. But also, where did you get the 1-3 weeks from? It sounds like that's from the date of ovulation, not LMP...