+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure if I should be posting in here but I wanted to share my but if you don't mind.
    I have been given 2 rings from my mil and great mil from their previous marriages.
    As in in law I was floored to be given these. Maybe if any of you have sons you could give the engagement rings to them. As is not the engagement part I feel is cursed just the wedding rings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    Does anyone know, for sure, do you get more money from pawning things or from selling them at cash converters? Just wondering if I might get more money from one or the other..
    Those gold buyers in the shopping centres pay by the weight but they don't include any diamonds. They donate the diamonds to a charity.
    Cashies pay by weight and diamonds but at a minimum price.
    The best way is to sell them privately -ie, online garage sale, gumtree etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope you don't mind me posting - my mum gave me her wedding ring set after dad and her divorced 15 years ago. Just last week I turned them in as I have a couple of other rings with diamonds too and I am getting a new ring made for myself. I have 3 diamond rings and a gold band, and I wouldn't even get $400 for the lot. Unfortunately they are not worth reselling. I am trading in against a new ring I am currently having made. I am keeping the biggest diamond and remodelling it with some new stones.

If you want to sell them go to a proper jeweller or manufacturing jeweller and sell them, you'll get a better deal than cashies or the gold stands. Or alternatively, trade them in against a new piece of jewellery for yourself if you don't need the cash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum kept her engagement ring and wedding ring since they divorced about 17 years before she gave the engagement ring too me. Dad left her (with good reason), and even though she never got over the bittnerness, she kept them.

When i was about 17 (so 17 years after divorce), she gave them too me.
    It was nice as im a sentimental person and would never melt them or sell them. I think itll be a nice keepsake of them when they unfortunately leave this world.
    So I would say if you sell them now, and in 17 years time a curious child asks about them; how would you feel telling them you sold them? If it wouldn't bother you, sell them. If you'd have to think twice, consider keeping them as a keepsake for your children of their parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wear one of my mums wedding bands, despite my parents splitting 20 years ago and me basically wiping dad from my life in the past 5 years.
    Once upon a time things were lovely, and we were a beautiful family - Time changes things, people change, life goes on. I keep and wear the ring as it represents the union that I am from.

If i were to split with my DH the girls could have a diamond ring each to keep if they wanted (wedding and eternity) and then perhaps sell the engagement ring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cousin fought her mum for years to have her rings. Parents separated and barely spoken since, 19 years on! My aunt had the same reasoning as many of you that it was cursed and bad luck, felt so strongly that my cousin didn't need that in her life ... but for my cousin it was a symbol of childhood memories and it reminded her that everything happens for a reason. Her parents may have made each other bitterly unhappy but they are still her parents and I wouldn't have a cousin without that marriage. She had it made into pendant that she never ever takes off.

So while you may feel it's bad luck it may mean something else to your girls ... one man's trash as they say

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept my engagement ring to give to DD when she is an adult. I want her to have it so she knows her father and I did love each other at one point and that she was born from that love.

It's ugly as sin but there's a lot of gold in it and a massive amethyst. She could have it melted down and turned into two or three rings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    I kept my engagement ring to give to DD when she is an adult. I want her to have it so she knows her father and I did love each other at one point and that she was born from that love.

It's ugly as sin but there's a lot of gold in it and a massive amethyst. She could have it melted down and turned into two or three rings.
    Engagement ring sold on eBay for about $1,200 and weddings rings got about $600 through Sydney CBD gold dealers

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum sold her rings after my parents divorced to pay some bills. I wish she had kept them for me. I don't feel as though they are cursed because they're marriage ended, to me it is a reminder of my childhood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    My mum sold her rings after my parents divorced to pay some bills. I wish she had kept them for me. I don't feel as though they are cursed because they're marriage ended, to me it is a reminder of my childhood.
    ^ yep. That once upon a time they loved each other enough to have 'me'