+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The school run with a baby

How do you make it work? We had a bit of a trial run today and it was a disaster. I had planned to walk DS1 to school and DD to childcare and the plan was for DS2 to sleep in the pram. He normally has a sleep from about 7:45am until 10am, and DS1 needs to be dropped at school at 8:40am.
    We left home at 7:45am dropped DD at childcare, got back at 8:45am and DS2 hadn't fallen asleep! So put him to bed then, he slept for 45mins and woke up grumpy- threw the rest if the day out.
    He did have a good nap on the afternoon run when we picked her up, but would have been only 45 mins and I think only because he was exhausted.
    I really don't want another catnapper!
    Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have always had a baby/toddler for the school run. You and bub will just adjust and you will find a new routine in time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (21-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had to learn to work bubs routine around drop off and pick up time. It was hard to start with but we eventually got there. Goodluck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bubs routine changed with the school drop off / pick up. So drop my son off at 8:30. Bub sleeps from 9 - 11am ish. Afternoon sleep 12.45 - 2.30 ish, then pick up my son from school at 3. They work into it. Good luck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to New Hope For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I was thinking a change to routine might be in order. He currently has 3 sleeps a day, but it shouldn't be too long until we're down to 2 I guess, he's only just 4 months and I was thinking 2 sleeps at 6 months but maybe I can bring it forward a bit.
    The other problem is DD has a couple of activities on her non childcare days that kind of fit with the old routine, but I think we'll just have to shuffle them as well.
    It just feels so busy having to do the drop off and pick up everyday at the same time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very irritating. I spent the majority of last year waking dd from her already limited naps to do the school run each day. I can't wait for 1 nap a day! My only suggestion is to invest in a capsule if you think the baby would sleep in it? In hindsight i should have done that...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (22-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default The school run with a baby

Last edited by TeBe; 21-01-2015 at 22:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This was my biggest negative about having the kids so close in age, I was always waking a baby to take on the school run and now it's always waking a toddler to take on the school run. It had to be done, so unfotunately the baby had to adjust to being woken and eventually being woken for school runs became the norm and we both adjusted in time.

OP, it will eventually work out, it's early days of you working it all out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Its hard but it does get easier and remember though it feels like it lasts forever, before you know it he will be down to one nap a day

Ive been doing school runs with DS3 since he was 5 days old and he is now 19 months and down to one sleep and I hardly remember how hard it was (oh and though he may of haf short catnaps for awhile there, now he had 1 x 2-3 hour nap in the middle of the day, every single day.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    It is very irritating. I spent the majority of last year waking dd from her already limited naps to do the school run each day. I can't wait for 1 nap a day! My only suggestion is to invest in a capsule if you think the baby would sleep in it? In hindsight i should have done that...
    I had assumed the capsule would be my saviour, but DS2 is so big that he has really already grown out of it (going carseat shopping today!) and he doesn't really sleep well in the car either. I think he likes the stillness of his cot to sleep in, rather than any motion - strange baby!