+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks @Gentoo. The article summed up my feelings on this. I know uniforms cost a bomb but do we really have to exploit impoverished workers to save money? I mean $2 a shirt is insanely cheap. Surely people could afford $6 and pay workers properly?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (18-01-2016),Elijahs Mum  (18-01-2016),Gentoo  (18-01-2016),Lincolns mummy  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    There's an article about this on the SMH online site this morning. Summary:

* Target is selling Bangladeshi-made school shirts for $2, Kmart for $5. Kmart is also selling Chinese-made polos for $2.

* The retail cost of the polos is less than the wholesale price paid by Best and Less.

* Target and Kmart have both signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh, Best and Less has not.

* A 2015 Oxfam report found Best and Less had "made the least progress" since the Rana Plaza collapse in ethical sourcing. So, how are Target and Kmart are able to source polos more cheaply than Best and Less?

* Target wouldn't comment on how they produced at such a low cost, but said it was "working towards" paying factory employees a living wage. It did not make any mention of using the shirts as a "loss leader" (ie. selling below cost to draw shoppers in). Target would not name the actual factory the polos are produced in, despite saying that "supply chain transparency is key to improving our responsibility".

* Kmart also declined to name the factories where its shirts were produced.

* Etiko founder Nick Savidis said "Ultimately consumers have to be held accountable. It doesn't take too much to work out how cheap fashion is created."
    I thought the article states that best and less were the ones who wouldn't name the factories. No mention of Kmart or target?

Unless in reading wrong?

http://m.smh.com.au/national/educati...12-gm4n1y.html

Anyway, my children's school uniform don't allow any plain polo shirts. Has to be the school shirts which are half blue and half yellow. They're unisex though so my son has some hand-me-downs
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default $2 Polo Shirts - Exploitation????

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Thanks @Gentoo. The article summed up my feelings on this. I know uniforms cost a bomb but do we really have to exploit impoverished workers to save money? I mean $2 a shirt is insanely cheap. Surely people could afford $6 and pay workers properly?
    Best and less charge more but have not signed any agreements. They're just making a bigger profit. Doesn't mean they are more ethical.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-01-2016 at 10:57.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Best and less charge more but have not signed any agreements. They're just making a bigger profit. Doesn't mean they are more ethical.
    Never said they were. I am aware of best and less so that's why I didn't use them as an example.

The article in the age specifically referred to target.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default $2 Polo Shirts - Exploitation????

Never said they were. I am aware of best and less so that's why I didn't use them as an example.

The article in the age specifically referred to target.
    The article in the age and smh are the same. It discusses Kmart, best and less, and target.

http://m.theage.com.au/national/educ...in=smart-phone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    It's in the heading of the article.

Sorry why are you making such a point about this?

From the article:

Major Australian retailers Kmart and Target have come under fire for selling $2 school uniforms while factory workers are paid below levels that can cover basic living expenses.
    The $2 polo shirts that are the focus of Target's national "Back to School" campaign are produced in Bangladeshi factories where wages can be as low as $97 a month.
    This national minimum wage is up to 45 per cent below the "living wage" that allows workers to pay for basic food, water, shelter, clothing, and transport, according to Oxfam and international workers unions.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/ed...#ixzz3xYP4g25V
    Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
    Last edited by Sonja; 18-01-2016 at 11:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's in the heading of the article.

Sorry why are you making such a point about this?

From the article:

Major Australian retailers Kmart and Target have come under fire for selling $2 school uniforms while factory workers are paid below levels that can cover basic living expenses.
    The $2 polo shirts that are the focus of Target's national "Back to School" campaign are produced in Bangladeshi factories where wages can be as low as $97 a month.
    This national minimum wage is up to 45 per cent below the "living wage" that allows workers to pay for basic food, water, shelter, clothing, and transport, according to Oxfam and international workers unions.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/ed...#ixzz3xYP4g25V
    Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
    The article isn't just about target. Did you read the whole thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The article isn't just about target. Did you read the whole thing?
    I know its not about Target. I never said it was.

I have read it. Several times now as i cannot for the life of me follow your point. You said earlier Target wasn't mentioned. Yes it was which is why I highlighted that part.

It's about cheap polos!

I give up. I'm going out.

ETA I reread your above post where you do mention Target.
    I still can't follow your point, Do you not agree with the content of the article that $2 polo shirts are produced to the detriment of workers? Best & Less are also guilty but just charge more.
    Last edited by Sonja; 18-01-2016 at 11:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have read it. Several times now as i cannot for the life of me follow your point. You said earlier Target wasn't mentioned. Yes it was which is why I highlighted that part.

It's about cheap polos!

I still can't follow your point, Do you not agree with the content of the article that $2 polo shirts are produced to the detriment of workers? Best & Less are also guilty but just charge more.
    I think BigRedV's point is that just because you pay more for a certain item, it doesn't mean that there is less likelihood of exploitation (sorry if I'm wrong @BigRedV).

And a few dollars might not seem much to you, but it doesn't mean it doesn't seem like much for someone struggling badly to make ends meet.
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 18-01-2016 at 12:33.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

It's about cheap polos!

I quoted Gentoo because she said the article said that target and Kmart refused to state the factories they used, but the article didn't say that, it only said best and less wouldn't state the factory they use. That was my initial point.