+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Where on earth does DS1 go to school?
    It's a tech school. Kids can start their apprenticeship while still at school. Gr 11 does 3 at school and 2 days in work experience every week. Gr12 do 2 days at school and 3 work experience. They have a huge set up for each trade in the school. So even though his trade is in a office he still has to have the whole kit and kabbodle.

He is doing IT but the school biggest areas are construction (plumbing. Carpentry. Electrical. sheet metal) and motor trades (mechanic. Diseal fitter. Fitter Turner etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Steel caps? Is this TAFE?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Steel caps? Is this TAFE?
    No not tafe. It still a high school. It offers tafe subjects. See above^^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    It's a tech school. Kids can start their apprenticeship while still at school. Gr 11 does 3 at school and 2 days in work experience every week. Gr12 do 2 days at school and 3 work experience. They have a huge set up for each trade in the school. So even though his trade is in a office he still has to have the whole kit and kabbodle.

He is doing IT but the school biggest areas are construction (plumbing. Carpentry. Electrical. sheet metal) and motor trades (mechanic. Diseal fitter. Fitter Turner etc).
    In Tassie we used to call them VET courses - Vocational Education Training. A friend did one in retail and it included stuff like first aid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD is at a school with quite strict uniform, so it must be purchased from the uniform shop & is a fairy 'individual' looking uniform and they don't wear polo's. I'm happy to say that the uniform an australian made, australian owned company, and is excellent quality. It's expensive - we spent around $400 on the uniform & could still do with a few more spare dresses, shirts, etc - so could easily spend another $200-300 or so. But she will wear it 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year for a few years before she outgrows them, or passes them down to her younger siblings. Even secondhand that we have seen (although rare) is excellent quality.

I would NEVER look down on people who buy a $2 shirt though. I would think that kmart are selling them at a loss, & it is a reflection on quality - not always on ethical production standards. I've been there - I've bought $3 shoes from kmart because my old shoes broke & I had no money. Sometimes I have to buy cheap. I just try to do the best I can - by my family, and by those who produced what I buy. I really dislike the 'throwaway' mentality that we have, so I do try to avoid over-buying of cheap stuff as much as I can.

I do shop on ebay and quite often buy stuff from chinese sellers for ridiculously cheap compared to prices in store here - and the quality is sometimes great for what I pay. The chinese ebay sellers always seem desperate to provide good customer service - they always want good feedback & make sure the customer is happy (not all sellers, but many do). I wonder if they are glad to make my sale & feed their family, or if someone somewhere is being exploited for my cheap ebay purchase? Sometime's its hard to know what is the 'right' thing to do. I would love to be supporting some struggling chinese ebay seller, but would hate to be supporting an industry of exploitation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eh I buy most of our stuff from Kmart,
    Honestly it washes well, wears well and most of it lasts ages,
    Kmart scores better ratings wise then most brand named when it comes to worker conditions etc

I don't have 50$ to spend on a shirt, nor do I think of something as disposable, if something was crappy quality and only lasted a couple of months or one season I wouldn't want to buy from the shop again even if it was only a 2$ shirt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ours are at public school and the uniforms are ridiculously expensive- so yes we buy the cheap Kmart/Target stuff as backups.

$30 for a sport shirt is crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have said, high price does not equal lower likelihood of exploitation. This is what capitalism and a consumerist culture does. Businesses want to make as much money as possible and most don't care about how that's done. It isn't easy finding reputable companies that a genuinely ethical. Even the clothing made in Australia; where does that fabric come from and what are the conditions at those factories? There are products on the market that say "made in Australia", but that doesn't mean the items used to make those products are also made in Australia.

I also don't really like the idea of everyone avoiding cheaper clothing. Yes, there is a high chance that the workers are exploited (they're exploited no matter how much you buy your clothes for), but they need that money for food, clothing and shelter. I don't agree with it, but I also don't agree with taking business away and leaving these people in an even worse situation.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone for buying cheap. At the end of the day our lives revolve around money and what we can afford. It's not the individuals, it's the system.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (12-01-2016),Nemmi1987  (12-01-2016),PomPoms  (17-01-2016),SoThisIsLove  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's an article about this on the SMH online site this morning. Summary:

* Target is selling Bangladeshi-made school shirts for $2, Kmart for $5. Kmart is also selling Chinese-made polos for $2.

* The retail cost of the polos is less than the wholesale price paid by Best and Less.

* Target and Kmart have both signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh, Best and Less has not.

* A 2015 Oxfam report found Best and Less had "made the least progress" since the Rana Plaza collapse in ethical sourcing. So, how are Target and Kmart are able to source polos more cheaply than Best and Less?

* Target wouldn't comment on how they produced at such a low cost, but said it was "working towards" paying factory employees a living wage. It did not make any mention of using the shirts as a "loss leader" (ie. selling below cost to draw shoppers in). Target would not name the actual factory the polos are produced in, despite saying that "supply chain transparency is key to improving our responsibility".

* Kmart also declined to name the factories where its shirts were produced.

* Etiko founder Nick Savidis said "Ultimately consumers have to be held accountable. It doesn't take too much to work out how cheap fashion is created."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (17-01-2016),binnielici  (18-01-2016),Nemmi1987  (17-01-2016),Sonja  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just bought 4 items for the kids from the school uniform shop- winter dress, 2 sports shirts, skort. It cost $210!!

Will definitely be getting some cheaper plain shirts from Kmart/Target for DSD to wear under her dress...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast