+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    What do people pay for school uniform shirts from the uniform shop? DS's school uniform shirts cost $25 each which I think is exceptionally reasonable. They are good quality and thanks to him only growing up and not out for the last 2 years are good to go for his 3rd year of school. From memory that's about how much they cost when I was at school which is 25+ years ago now.

(On a side note, I recently found out that an uncle and aunt of mine only bought my cousin 1 set of school uniform, he had to wear them every day! They were a middle to high income family and he was going to a top private school. He had to wear the same uniform every day and it would get washed on teh weekends!! I'm talking Qld summer time too.)
    $26 short sleeved polo with logo
    $30 long sleeved polo with logo
    $50 school jacket with logo
    $65 dress

My DD has been wearing the same dress for two years and will be fine to wear it this year as well and she's on to her third year for her two short sleeve polo shirts as well. My DS however, destroyed his two shirts after three terms - he's just special like that! They'll both need new jackets this year and their old ones will go to the second hand uniform shop because they just outgrew them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just because they are not cheap, doesn't mean they are ethical though.

I wouldn't be quick to assume $2 shirts must come from an unethical source. I would assume they would be bad quality though.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

kezanazz  (22-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (22-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    In regards to the 'affordable' clothing. I would prefer that the clothing is of better quality and pay more. Was really hard to find DS some t-shirts for this summer that were good as we tend to hand down through the boys. Wasn't at our regular shops when the sales were on so had to buy Target ones that were a lot thinner than what they used to sell...and cheaper, but there weren't any alternatives. They lasted one wear and the necks have all gone stupid in them. We then went to Myer/Patch when we got home and bought some proper ones for next year even though some were full price still.

Might pop over to Target site and make a formal complaint - they used to have some nice clothes, but this year they are tacky and not very good quality at all.
    i buy mostly kmart, theyve lasted through 3 boy children wth plenty of wear still

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post

I wouldn't be quick to assume $2 shirts must come from an unethical source. I would assume they would be bad quality though.
    my daughter's uniforms are made in Australia by one person

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    my daughter's uniforms are made in Australia by one person
    That's nice? I'm not sure what it has to do with what I said.
    But at least you know who is making yours (although you don't know who makes the textiles).

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post

^ this. Look at your major brands of any kind of clothing - Nike for instance. You pay absolute top dollar, meanwhile it's very well publicised that they've faced allegation after allegation of utilising sweatshops and child labor. The cost has very little to do with it. Don't think because you're paying $65 for tshirt that it's been made any more ethically than the $2 variety. It just means one of the middle men is making substantially more money.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (22-01-2015),Curby  (22-01-2015),delirium  (22-01-2015),DT75  (22-01-2015),Frankenmum  (11-01-2016),HeavenBlue  (22-01-2015),SoThisIsLove  (11-01-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    What do people pay for school uniform shirts from the uniform shop?
    $ 42 for a girls blouse. Boys shirts are cheaper and sport shirts cheaper yet again. State school btw.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just found this thread, and purchased 3 of these $2 polos for our DD who starts school this year. We have 2 of the proper school polos too and only purchased the $2 ones to get us through the first month or two until we have more money to buy more of the proper ones, lots of expenses this time of the year. Im surer people have all kinds of reasons for buying them, epsecially if you had a few kids at school at once.

Curious to know how they have lasted for ones that bought them last year? We have the school uniform shop dress and skorts but have purchased all other bottoms from Target. Its just so expensive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    I just found this thread, and purchased 3 of these $2 polos for our DD who starts school this year. We have 2 of the proper school polos too and only purchased the $2 ones to get us through the first month or two until we have more money to buy more of the proper ones, lots of expenses this time of the year. Im surer people have all kinds of reasons for buying them, epsecially if you had a few kids at school at once.

Curious to know how they have lasted for ones that bought them last year? We have the school uniform shop dress and skorts but have purchased all other bottoms from Target. Its just so expensive
    Mine last until they grew out off them. Actually one went through 2 kids. My are just spares as they technically aren't allowed at our school.

It so expensive. I wish I could use the km art cheaper version of hi-visy for ds1. Sadly his uniform not only has the school logo but his name stitched on it. So I can't get secondhand.
    One set cost me $104. The rules say he must have 2 sets. I just can't afford that yet. That's not including the steel capped high ankle boots, hard hats and other protective gear that he will never need.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 11-01-2016 at 20:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Mine last until they grew out off them. Actually one went through 2 kids. My are just spares as they technically aren't allowed at our school.

It so expensive. I wish I could use the km art cheaper version of hi-visy for ds1. Sadly his uniform not only has the school logo but his name stitched on it. So I can't get secondhand.
    One set cost me $104. The rules say he must have 2 sets. I just can't afford that yet. That's not including the steel capped high ankle boots, hard hats and other protective gear that he will never need.
    Where on earth does DS1 go to school?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast