+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My daughter's school uniform can only be purchased from the school. All items must be purchased from the school. You can't buy tracksuit pants elsewhere and wear them. They used to have the uniforms at lowes but the prices increased all the time so the school found a woman who makes them. The labels say "made in Australia" It's been a long time since I've seen that written on the label of clothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Prior to this year, I bought the odd target school shirt as well as our uniform shop shirts (our kids just have to wear white polo shirts and black bottoms) but I just couldn't so the $2 ones. Even the uniform shop ones though are made in china....I honestly don't know where to buy from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think those $2 school shirts make it so some kids can go to school in a school uniform at all. Fair enough to want to be ethical but be mindful of those who cant choose not to buy that cheap clothing.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (22-01-2015),atomicmama  (22-01-2015),babyla  (22-01-2015),delirium  (22-01-2015),Donnab739  (22-01-2015),Frankenmum  (11-01-2016),Full House  (22-01-2015),Gothel  (22-01-2015),LaDiDah  (22-01-2015),LoveLivesHere  (22-01-2015),maternidade  (22-01-2015),MissMuppet  (18-01-2016),MissSparkles  (11-01-2016),PipersMummy  (22-01-2015),Soon2be4  (22-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (22-01-2015)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBid View Post
    I think those $2 school shirts make it so some kids can go to school in a school uniform at all. Fair enough to want to be ethical but be mindful of those who cant choose not to buy that cheap clothing.
    Whilst I agree that the $2 shirts fulfil a very important role in helping dress kids from lower income homes/ homes that are doing it tough/ just have a lot of kids to dress for school, I tend to think that maternidade's post rings true, these aren't priced as charity but rather as a strategy to get people in the door and spending. I would never want to shame anyone for not being in a position to make a *better* choice but that doesn't mean that we can't ask our retailers to protect vulnerable people in underdeveloped countries. These companies have plenty of fat in their profit margins that can be trimmed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I do understand where you're coming from but most of the people IRL that I know that buy $2 aren't in a lower socio-economic bracket, they just figure it's better to spend $2 on a school shirt that's going to get trashed and stained.
    It's not an easy fix that's for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This thread has certainly made me start considering the sources of the clothing I buy. I don't necessarily believe that more expensive will always equal more ethical.

Anyway. I found an app today called Shop Ethical! Which I hope will make it a bit easier and clearer to know what my money is supporting from now on.

Thanks to OP starting this thought provoking thread.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iseethirtythree For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (22-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just got back from the uniform shop. They are the only supplier of uniforms for our school and the suppliers don't show up on the list of ethical suppliers. Grr.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Agree. We don't fit that category and most of the girls and boys uniforms at our school have logos so we have to go to the uniform shop. But not everyone can afford to take the high road and buy more expensive clothes. I'm not saying the cause isn't a worthy one, or that people don't have a point about the exploitation. They most certainly do. I'm just pointing out that sometimes those that have the ability to choose are privileged to even have that choice.

In relation to 2nd hand. My kids are public school but like I say, it's mostly logo stuff and the uniforms are quite expensive so it's rare to have a single item there to buy. Parents either use the uniforms until the are thread bare and not good enough to pass on, or they sell them. Often at a reasonably high price as they are so expensive new. The ones that are cheap are jumped on straight away (often by me lol) who will buy stuff 3 sizes to big and put them aside. My point is it's not just as cut and dry as 'buy 2nd hand from the uniform shop'.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (22-01-2015),atomicmama  (22-01-2015),MrsBid  (22-01-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    this thread is not to put down anyone who buys cheap uniforms etc.

It is about whether or not we as a society (and specifically our government) should put a stop to the techniques big business use to exploit disadvantaged people in other countries for profit.

the fact that publically listed companies such as Westfarmers (who owns Kmart and Target) see it as acceptable to use these kinds of practices in the name of profit - and its publicly acceptable.

There is no adverse publicity, no response, no holding of responsibility for the appalling standards they are instigating ... just shoving the problem where no one can see, and making a bright shiny PR campaign about how great it is that they make clothing "affordable"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (11-01-2016)