+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Daycare Excursions for 2yo

I've just started my 2yo DD at daycare 2 weeks ago.

This week they have a planned outing for her room to go to the park where a council run kids event will be held.

They need me to sign a permission slip but I feel a bit uneasy about it. DD is a runner, very adventurous and I don't know the carers very well yet. I am worried that she might run away at the park.

Should I let her go or keep her home that day? What would you do?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to baby4us For This Useful Post:

Lillac  (21-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unless they can guarantee 1:1 ratio, not a chance! That is very young imo for an excursion to such a public place.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's weird...I've never heard of excursions held by a daycare centre. There's no way on earth I'd let my DD go. I trust the carers at my daycare while she's on the premises, but no way for an outside excursion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Lillac  (21-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't be comfortable at that age, surely the centre can replicate the activities that would be done in house. It's not like daycare kids need to do the activities for social interaction as they get that at daycare.
    On a side note if I was a parent who took their kid to a council run activity for social interaction only to find full with daycare kids I light be a bit upset ( these things usually have limited spaces)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I've never used daycare before so didn't know if I was being over protective or what. I've told them she is not allowed to go and they said she will hang out in the babies room till they get back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you baby4us, I would do the same for my 2 yr old DD- a runner too! She will be happy hanging in the baby room. When my DSs were young, at daycare, they used to walk to the library for an excursion, and I let them go when I felt they were ready. I think they were 3.5 or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS1 has been on loads of excursions in his time at childcare, I think he would have been on one as a 2yo (to see a fire truck- he loved it). The childcare centre always had loads of parent helpers- I went along to a few, so even with the older children they would have 1 adult to 2 children.
    But by all means if you don't feel comfortable they should provide an alternative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They said the ratio didn't change either so still 1:3 (I think)

I have trouble keeping track of her myself at 1:1 so I just couldn't find a way that I would be happy with it.
    Last edited by baby4us; 21-01-2015 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take DSs to a community soft play in a big hall once a week, there is a daycare that takes about 25 toddlers and cannot keep track of them, at all!
    Anyone can go, there is no checks or anything, I always feel uneasy.
    DSs daycare takes them to the petting farm, cinema etc but always make a booking so it's closed to the public. Over the summer there were six carers and only 4 kids one day so they took them to Peppa Pig world, I was freaking out.
    They take them for walks a lot by the Thames and to a local playground and have them connected to a rope and wearing high vis vests.
    Like others have said unless it's 1:1 I wouldn't be comfortable at a big public outing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not to be alarmist, but there was a very sad case in my area a few years ago.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/tod...efd5c7fab83ba0