+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborn and a family member with a cold

Hi ladies I'm hoping someone will have some advice.

I have a 7 day old and my dad has a cold he's had it since Monday and he said the head ache feeling has finished but he still has a runny nose an a cough.

How long should he wait to see bubs to make sure she doesn't pick anything up.

He's dying to see his granddaughter but is staying away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know medically what the right answer is. .. But if it was me I would be waiting until the coughing is gone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (21-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And the runny nose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (21-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I'm a soon to be first-time-mum. I'd totally say no to the cold going anywhere near the baby... Can you FaceTime?

Maybe I'm feeling too overcautious but at this point I'm kinda thinking that no one is getting a newborn cuddle with my bubba before six weeks unless they've had their whooping cough vaccination... Is that too militant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    I'm a soon to be first-time-mum. I'd totally say no to the cold going anywhere near the baby... Can you FaceTime?

Maybe I'm feeling too overcautious but at this point I'm kinda thinking that no one is getting a newborn cuddle with my bubba before six weeks unless they've had their whooping cough vaccination... Is that too militant?
    Nope! You do what is right for you and your family! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (21-01-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It doesn't hurt for everyone to get a booster of the whooping cough vaccine according to my Ob so everyone in my family got one. Not just to protect DS but also themselves!

Do whatever you feel right about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We all want to protect our babies the best we can. Nanny had a cold when ds3 was born but we couldn't do too much about it as we were staying there at the time. It did worry me though. Ds2 then got the cold and we all ended up with gastro but bub never got any of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    TBH I would avoid anyone with a cold like the plague!

My baby girl has been hospitalised 5 times from cold virus' a week stay each time. Her little body just couldn't cope and she ended up with bronchiolitus each time.

I also told family members that they couldnt visit unless they had whooping cough vaccine too.

(Glad I did! My son was a month old and my brother contracted whooping cough, my partners still made a huge fuss about us not spend xmas with the family. Some people just dont get it :/ )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its good to avoid in the first few months. They are so little and defenceless and rely on you to protect them. I put out a facebook announcement that nobody will be visiting the baby under any circumstances unless they have the whooping cough vaccine. There is no rewind button and you cannot undo a decision that can cost you and your baby. Be brave first time mummas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (24-01-2015)