+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had the same thing with DS, he sat on the edge for a bit (or on first step) and I played in the pool with cool lightning mcqueen toys lol.

After a bit he wanted to play too but scared of water so made it he reached out for toy, then had to have me hold him to get toy (a foot or so away from edge)

Before long he was splashing and playing around and attempting to doggy paddle with support.

We had to stop again once I went to work but plan to start him swimming again soon, probably not formal lessons just yet.

Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP....is there somewhere you can take your child with you? A public pool, friend's pool etc. No lesson, just take them and get them used to being in the water....and then go back to lessons once the water isn't as scary. This worked for us.

To the pp re: swimming lessons for young kids. We live surrounded by water. By 8 my oldest could swim 1km with ease. It would be dangerous to live where we do and not have our kids learning how to swim properly until 7 or 8 years IMO.I guess it depends on where you live as to how important it is. We view swimming as a life skill, and there's no way I want to stay away from water until my kids are older. That would feel like torture!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    OP....is there somewhere you can take your child with you? A public pool, friend's pool etc. No lesson, just take them and get them used to being in the water....and then go back to lessons once the water isn't as scary. This worked for us.

To the pp re: swimming lessons for young kids. We live surrounded by water. By 8 my oldest could swim 1km with ease. It would be dangerous to live where we do and not have our kids learning how to swim properly until 7 or 8 years IMO.I guess it depends on where you live as to how important it is. We view swimming as a life skill, and there's no way I want to stay away from water until my kids are older. That would feel like torture!
    This is us as well we live in the gold coast where every second house had a pool plus the beach and I wanted my kids to have this life skill and be confident enough by the age of 4-5 to be able to at least save themselves if they happened to fall in a pool. I grew up in the country where I did not start swimming lessons until I was about 5 ans it petrified me. Even now at the age of 35 I am not a very confident swimmer who can only just save myself let alone one of my children. I do not want that for my kids.
    This is just my opinion and I know everyone's situation is different

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is a pool nearby and I take her when I can, it's a bit hard with 6mo DS though. She'll go in the water with me.

I talked to her about it in the bath tonight and she said she was scared of the lady, so I think it's a 'stranger' thing rather than the water. She's always been wary of people she doesn't know and is quite shy (another reason we like to get her into these activities, it helps her confidence).