+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Childcare and sickness

Hi ladies, just wanted some opinions on this matter. My 9 month old son has been in childcare 2 days a week for the past 4 months. In this time he has been sick numerous times I mean it seems to be every other week. I know this is pretty standard for daycare but I'm starting to wonder if it's getting excessive and maybe I should look for another centre? What are your experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter was the same when she first started. She was bringing everything home and of course then it would spread throughout our house!

Does your center warn you of sicknesses going around at the current time? I know if I see gastro is going around the centre then I keep my daughter home as we just can't afford to have gastro go through us all. My daughter's centre also has handwashing signs everywhere and hand sanitizer readily available. Despite their pretty stringent hygiene standards unfortunately the bugs still get around. Unfortunately I think you'll find at that age where everything goes in their mouths etc there isn't really so much you can do? I'm sure all centre's ecperience similar sicknesses from time to time.

The good news is my daughter seemed to build up her immunity after around 6 months in care 2 days a week.

I know its tough when the sicknesses are relentless. We had a period in winter where my DD didn't attend care for over a month because of constant infections!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just saw on our invoice we've had 20 days absent since sept 1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The first year of daycare is the worst for sickness then they seem to build up some immunity and the days off after that are minimal - well thats been my experience anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I think that is pretty standard, I would stick it out a bit longer, I think things improve after 6 months. My kids haven't been sick for ages now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Some kids cop it badly first year of daycare.

my eldest started school last year and didn't have one day off for being sick. She started daycare at 8 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds about right. The first 3 months are usually the worst. By a year DS was catching things a lot less (and our family immunity has improved a lot too!) we have had a lot of colds, gastro 4-5 times and hand foot and mouth. Our day care is one of the best in the state and hygiene is very good. But it happens anyway. Kids touch and chew everything, don't know how to cover their faces when they sneeze and take a lot longer to fight illnesses and are therefore contagious for longer.

Despite this it's actually good to have this exposure especially to colds, or so my GP told me - it's great to help build immunity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When our two were in daycare, it took DSD 18 months to build up immunity, and DSS about 2 years.

They were there 4 days a week, and sick almost every week. It was a nightmare. After 7 months, it was every other week, after a year it was once a month. Then at 18 and 20something months, respectively, it was rare that they were sick.

If I remember correctly, DSD got sick once in her last 2 years, and DSS maybe once a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm freaking out reading these replies! DD has just started daycare at 7 months & I'm waiting for the first lot of gastro 😣

Thanks
    Reviews
    We gave up after nearly 18mths of constant illness and swapped to family daycare. I think the first 6-12 months are the hardest for most kids.