+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am neither pro- or anti- circumcision. I am concerned only with the correct performance of the procedure itself...that is, with informed consent, under strict sterile conditions, with adequate anaesthesia and analgesia (usually a sacral nerve block).

As for the research paper itself...critical appraisal of the methodology and statistics, and I stand by my original response...complete bull****.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by J37; 24-01-2015 at 12:41.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (24-01-2015),tazz475  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
    ... as a "claimed Doctor"
    I have never claimed to be a medical doctor. And this subforum is "for any who feel brave enough to debate the issue". If debate upsets you, please find a forum more to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    You must be confused...The RACP is the Royal Australian College of Physicians. Physicians are not Surgeons.
    No, I'm not confused. The current Australian and New Zealand medical position on circumcision is published by the Child Health Division of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians. Going back to 1971 it has been paediatricians who have forumulated policy on circumcision.

In New Zealand circumcision is defined as a restricted activity under the Health Practitioners Competency Assurance Act (2003). There is no corresponding provision in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I am as anti-circ as they get (unless their is a specific medical condition with corresponding recommendation) but I'm not going to read a study unless it is on a reputable link. Eg www.reputablehospital.org.au or www.topuniversityinthecountry.edu.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I have never claimed to be a medical doctor. And this subforum is "for any who feel brave enough to debate the issue". If debate upsets you, please find a forum more to your liking.

No, I'm not confused. The current Australian and New Zealand medical position on circumcision is published by the Child Health Division of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians. Going back to 1971 it has been paediatricians who have forumulated policy on circumcision.

In New Zealand circumcision is defined as a restricted activity under the Health Practitioners Competency Assurance Act (2003). There is no corresponding provision in Australia.
    And yet...it is Paediatric Surgeons who perform circumcisions, and they are governed by the RACS.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (02-06-2015),LoveLivesHere  (24-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I am as anti-circ as they get (unless their is a specific medical condition with corresponding recommendation) but I'm not going to read a study unless it is on a reputable link. Eg www.reputablehospital.org.au or www.topuniversityinthecountry.edu.au
    I thought you were serious for a minute!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

rb29  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=JohnC;8071464]I have never claimed to be a medical doctor. And this subforum is "for any who feel brave enough to debate the issue". If debate upsets you, please find a forum more to your liking.

1) Oh god, the "Google doctor", armchair expert.

2) I'm not upset pal, I'm disgusted that you have the nerve to spout the rubbish you are. And I'm sad, for anyone unfortunate enough to be swayed by it.

3) I really hope people talk to their doctors/obs and not follow your excited "theories".

4) ALL surgeries/procedures have inherent risks associated. The smallest to the biggest procedure can go wrong. As for circumcision, there are many pros/cons, likes/dislikes (FYI you can find these by Google search too).
    I am not concerned about whether people make the choice to or not, it is a personal decision. However, as pointed out, the procedure, conditions and aseptic techniques utilised are of importance (as previously mentioned by a poster).

5) as for your "spare me the I am a nurse" routine, perhaps you SHOULD, take something from those who have actually experienced the different sides of this topic, instead of outing all your faith in "phone calls and papers" anyone can access on the net.

Thanks
    Reviews

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

tazz475  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh good ol' JohnC.
    Do you get special notifications or something when anyone says the word 'circumcision' on BH?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2015),snowqu33n  (24-01-2015),tazz475  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also add to that...JohnC, if you are concerned about circumcisions being improperly performed, or performed without adequate anaesthesia/analgesia, you should submit a formal report to AHPRA (formerly the Medical Board).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Amgine  (24-01-2015),HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    And yet...it is Paediatric Surgeons who perform circumcisions, and they are governed by the RACS.
    Paediatric surgeons have been involved in formulating the RACP statements, as have urologists and other associated specialties.

Sadly, however, most routine infant circumcisions are today performed by GP clinics (a trend that started in the mid-90s), and this is unlikely to change given that public hospitals no longer offer the procedure electively.

As to analgesia, this is what the statement says:
    "Eutectic Mixture of Local Anesthetics (EMLA) was reported to be
    superior to placebo, however dorsal penile nerve block (DPNB) is superior to both sucrose and EMLA and is considered the analgesia of choice for newborn
    circumcision, but does require some special training for its effective application and avoidance of complications."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast