+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Blixicat. Congrats on the new bubba! Glad to hear that the nipple shield is working for you. It's such an individual thing - it didn't work for us, and I'm exclusively expressing at the moment.

Speaking of inconsistent advice, I thought you might like some light relief. http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/t...on-consultants

Best of luck with the bubba!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (22-01-2015),snowqu33n  (23-01-2015),Stretched  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are going through a similar situation at the moment. My little girl is 4 weeks old and we had a few weeks of being told that I must be attaching her incorrectly and everyone telling me to do it differently. Eventually we saw a lc who identified lip tie and tongue tie. We have an appointment on the 28th to see a dr about it. In the mean time we are using shields and expressing which has made a huge difference in her ability to attach and the pain I was in.
    Glad to hear it is getting sorted for you too

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Samymt For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (22-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awesome news that they've been able to pin down the problem. Clipping it made enough difference to my son that I could keep feeding (I was ready to give up). Good luck at the next appointment.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Justjaq, that link is hilarious!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blixicat For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (24-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it is any consolation I went through something similar. I was the same as you in the beginning- so very sore and cracked, baby was crying for milk all the time.. so I saw an LC, who said that my baby had a posterior tongue tie, although it was very slight. She said to use shields for the mean time and to see how baby goes, as she may outgrow it. We were able to use nipple shields, and although they were sometimes annoying they worked really well for us and i was so happy to feed my baby pain free and see her getting the milk she needed eventually (I think it was after about a month or two) we were able to wean off them and the problem of her tongue tie had fixed itself just like the LC said it would. The best help while weaning off was using what i've heard called the 'sandwich or burger hold' for your breast- it's holding your breast compressed parallel to the mouth of baby, google might explain it better. It helps baby get more of the nipple into the mouth. My baby and I eventually got the hang of things and we are now breastfeeding champions, we hardly have to think about it
    Any way, congratulations and I hope some of that was helpful! The point was meant to be that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but I seem to babble on a bit nowadays You can do it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Update

Yesterday we went into the Royal Women's tongue tie clinic and our little one had her posterior tongue tied cut. Instant success! I have now been able to dump the shield and she isn't wanting bottle top ups either. Thanks so much for everyone's feedback, especially those who stressed about the tongue tie. I can only encourage other people to really get that checked if their baby is having trouble feeding.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blixicat For This Useful Post:

Phony  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awesome news! So happy it was an instant fix. I'm also glad I persisted in having it diagnosed and clipped despite having tongue tie initially ruled out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help - baby not sucking well.

I am reviving this thread as, even though the mw basically laughed at me today and said "no, definitely no tongue tie" I still feel like something is wrong. I'm also confused by the notion that "it shouldn't hurt at all"
    I'm a first time mum, I can't imagine that any area of the body, especially one so delicate, wouldn't hurt a bit when being sucked (with HUGE suction!) almost around the clock.
    The first day or so I probably didn't have the correct latch so damage was already done. I got almost every midwife while in hosp to check latch and all said it was good. Told them about pain, they said that's fairly normal. Yet today mw says no shouldn't hurt and re taught me to latch, she watched me and was happy, when asked does it still hurt, I said yes, to which she says it shouldn't and made me re latch over and over. Can anyone tell me if they or someone they know actually never got soreness from the beginning? Mine haven't cracked (yet) and the pain is bearable but it's still very tender. Yet everyone sees his latch from the outside and says it looks good? Hence I'm writing here as I feel it could be tongue tie or lip tie. Anywhoo that was a big ramble lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi GemJane

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time!

It's a hard one when people it shouldn't hurt when you breastfeed. How do you measure that? I've breastfed both my kids (currently feeding DD 5 months) and both had tongue tie so I'm not sure if you started with a baby with a normal latch if it would hurt? I do think there would be some tenderness as like you say it's a sensitive area that is suddenly getting a lot of use.

With both my kids, it did hurt when they were feeding (prior to treatment) and I had blistering and grazing on my nipples. My nipples were also misshapen when the baby detached.

This pain subsided after they had the snip (I still had to use nipple shields with my first for a few weeks after but my DD was able to latch without pain straight away).

If you feel something is wrong, keep after it! I used a lactation consultant through the hospital (so not the midwives on ward) and they were great. There are private LC consultants and I'm sure other hubbers could recommend someone in your area.

Best wishes with it all!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

GemJane  (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have breastfed 3 children, my first was super painful, ended up with bleeding nipples etc. I think it was an attachment problem, plus he fed super frequently and had major suction. I saw a lactation consultant early, but it still took a couple of months until things became pain free. Baby number 2 was a breeze to breastfeed, no problems at all, maybe mild discomfort only for the first week or two. Number 3 was very similar to number 1, although perhaps worse! He has a posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie, which we had snipped, but the damage had been done, so feeding was still painful until I saw an awesome lactation consultant who got me to feed in a different position and eventually everything healed up. Still feeding him at 13 months.
    If you're in Brisbane, and need a lactation consultant, I can't recommend Julie Bullard enough - contact details here http://www.lcanz.org/find-a-consultant-qld.htm . She is super knowledgeable about tongue tie too.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

GemJane  (06-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (06-11-2015)