+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help - baby not sucking well.

Have just returned home with out beautiful newborn daughter. She is having some problems attaching however, which is making feeding a huge stressor. The lactation consultant at the hospital was great and said that it appeared to be a combination of her having a shortish tongue, my milk supply being a little slow and our DD being a little slow to learn the sucking process. She has problems with both nipple and also plastic teats and it becomes most difficult because she appears to get terribly frustrated and works herself up into a cycle that then makes it harder to attach and there is lots of screaming. At times it has been incredibly stressful as I wonder why it isn't working and begin to doubt my abilities. Needless to say sleep has been non-existent with three hourly screaming/feeding sessions that last about 90 mins followed by me expressing in between.
    Has anyone else had a baby that won't attach properly, despite being hungry, and what did they do? How long did it last?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help - baby not sucking well.

Congratulations on your bubba!
    I didn't personally have these issues (not because I'm a natural to breastfeeding - who is? - but because we went to formula soon) although my good friend did with her DS. Eventually they were told he had a tongue tie and they snipped it. His feeding improved so quickly from there. Has your DD been checked for a tongue tie?

Also, please don't doubt yourself as a mumma I'm sure you are doing a great job! It's completely new to both your DD and yourself it takes a while to learn a new skill :-) it does get easier!!
    Last edited by azelqra; 20-01-2015 at 07:12.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. It took 2 weeks doing what you're doing, 2 visits to an LC plus using a nipple shield successfully before moving on to doing it without one but after that we were feeding normally. It was hard work for those 2 weeks but worth it because it was easy after that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eilonwy For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written this myself!! When DS was born I had such a hard time trying to feed him he wouldn't latch on I had black cracked nipples from the nurse putting him on ( they didn't put the whole nipple in his mouth) the first day and a half nurses had to express the colostrum into a syringe it took us about 3 weeks to get the hang over it and nipple were not sore by nearly 2 months! It took us such a long time!! Try lying down in bed if you haven't already I know DS latched on the first time while lying down!
    It does get better trust me!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clyon For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats on your bubba. My first thought was a lip or tongue tie. Google image these.
    When we asked about lip ties at our antenatal class we were pretty much told it's not very common and not a routine check, you only get of you have a family history.
    Well when the pead came around we got him to check the tongue tie, but he missed the very obvious lip tie.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If bub has a 'short' tongue, eg. a tongue that doesn't stick far out of their mouth, it could indicate posterior tongue tie.

I asked DS to be checked for tongue tie at the hospital as feeding didn't feel right (he was my 2nd) and told everything was fine. Weeks later, after little improvement, I diagnosed PTT via Dr. Google, then saw a lactation consultant who confirmed it. I then got it clipped in the DR's office.

The most effective check I did was to place a clean finger into bubs mouth with your nail on their tongue. They will instinctively start sucking. Let them suck for a little while and if you feel their tongue start to slip back, and their bottom gum presses against your finger, then they are having trouble keeping their tongue forward enough. In DS's case, this was because his tongue tie was pulling his tongue back, which he had to work against in a feed, which would tire him out. His tongue would slip back, then he'd bring it forward again, then back, and so on. He would also rely on suction to feed, rather than his tongue massaging the milk out, again very tiring for him and painful for me.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (20-01-2015),Phony  (04-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for all of your comments. This is the first time I have really posted here and it is lovely to get great responses so quickly. This is all new to me and it has been pretty easy to slip into a state of despair - funny how hormones and lack of sleep don't made you feel good about yourself!
    The Lactation Consultant I saw at the Royal Women's said she wasn't tongue tied but her tongue was a little short. But we are on our way to a paediatric visit now and I will get them to double check. it is great to hear that other people's kids have been able to overcome this problem as it was really worrying me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blixicat For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    None of the midwives or the pead picked up on my daughter lip tie until I pointed it out at the 6 week check up

15. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (22-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Please join the FB page Tongue Tie Babies Support Group. It is very unlikely that your mid, LC or even pead has had any training on posterior tongue tie. Good luck. X

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (22-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice people, thanks. We went back for another appointment with the Lactation Consultant today and a check in with the paediatrician and yes, it does appear that she is tongue tied. At the back apparently. So tried with a nipple shield and bang, she got it straight away! We've been referred to the tongue-tie clinic for a review.
    Over the last 10 days we have had so much different advice and it can be really confusing. I guess you are away that everyone is going to have an opinion, but perhaps are not as aware that you can get such a disparity of information from health professionals. Over the past few days we have had totally different, and in case cases completely contradictory advice. It has left is a bit bewildered! So hoping that the information we got today was accurate!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Blixicat For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (22-01-2015)