+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Take photos. Take down details of the day including conversation. Ring insurance company and see what they say. If you have a mechanic get them to check it over.

Our car was backed into one night by someone we knew when DH was using it - a loose aquaintance. They didn't see it apparently so it was a decent hit. The bumper got a bit cracked and paint damage of course. BUT! It was what we couldn't see that was the problem - it also put a small crack in the radiator, so later that week the temp suddenly sky-rocketed and the motor went all within 100m of travel. We were then out-of-pocket $2000 because DH couldn't have been bothered to inform the fellow what actually happened from the hit and claim it on insurance.
    This is the concern really. Apparently cars are made to absorb knocks, and can have a lot of damage within - even from a 'small' bmp. Call insurance who will ask if police have been called. Hope it gets sorted, OP Lt us know who says what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Take photos. Take down details of the day including conversation. Ring insurance company and see what they say. If you have a mechanic get them to check it over.

Our car was backed into one night by someone we knew when DH was using it - a loose aquaintance. They didn't see it apparently so it was a decent hit. The bumper got a bit cracked and paint damage of course. BUT! It was what we couldn't see that was the problem - it also put a small crack in the radiator, so later that week the temp suddenly sky-rocketed and the motor went all within 100m of travel. We were then out-of-pocket $2000 because DH couldn't have been bothered to inform the fellow what actually happened from the hit and claim it on insurance.
    This is so true, its the damage you cant see that mattets, and considering the way they're carrying on about it I would be sure to get it checked out asap.

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I don't think involving the police would make the matter any better...

Let's not forget that they are the OPs neighbors so chances are that she'll have to deal with them on a regular basis...

OP was there any damage to your car? Not that it makes the issue go away if there was none... More so that I would pursue this a lot stronger if there was.
    Just because they are neighbors doesn't mean you can't report it to the police if they are not cooperating. Otherwise we would all have banged up cars that we would have to pay to fix ourselves just because we didn't want to hurt someones feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz475 View Post
    Just because they are neighbors doesn't mean you can't report it to the police if they are not cooperating. Otherwise we would all have banged up cars that we would have to pay to fix ourselves just because we didn't want to hurt someones feelings.
    That's not what I have said.
    I'm simply saying there might other avenues to use before involving the police.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD? Hitting a car and neighborly relations

Just because the police are involved does not mean they will get charged etc, it just means you are covering your own backside... The neighbours are already being uncooperative, what happens if there is damage to their car and they say it was HER/OP's fault?

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I understand, and obviously you would want to exhaust them all before involving the police, but it doesn't sound as though the neighbors are going to be very cooperative... Especially when they have been b!tching to OP's DH about OP's mental/emotional state. This woman sounds nasty!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    He was foolish, incredibly foolish. A less honest person could claim he did a lot more damage than he did and he would have no proof of that because he didn't bother to look at your car himself at the time. As others have said, get your car checked over to ensure there really is no underlying damage.

In answer to the question, I would've gotten out and checked it. If I was in a rush, I would've explained that I would call and talk about it later. If I'd been hit, I might go over and talk to the neighbour but I would also call my insurance and put a claim in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So....after rechecking the car, googling about 'bumping' cars and speaking to the police's non-emergency number I went back and forth about what to do. Part of me wants to report them, part of me wants to confront them via letter or in person and just tell them what rude, entitled, overall shiz people I think they are, and part of me just wants to leave it and can't be bothered wasting air on them.

There are marks on our bumper where the silver paint has been scraped and the black plastic is showing, but we can't prove it's from them. I did speak to the police and they are in trouble for two things, failure to stop and not reporting a minor accident. In order for either of us to have our insurance companies involved we would have to report it. I would have to report a failure to stop which could potentially get them in deep shiz. Apparently she used to be a former insurance claims officer and she kept telling DH they have no legal requirement to contact us or apologize because there was no damage. DH and I are like, but you don't know there's no damage because you didn't get out and check!!!! ***pulling hair***!!!!

We've pretty much come to the decision that we just can't be bothered getting in a back and forth with them so are just leaving it. I have been watching our car and where they park like a hawk though!

I'm also still tempted to slip a letter through their door saying how disappointed I am with how they handled the situation and their attitudes, that I think they're incredibly self-entitled and rude people and that if I ever see them doing anything like that again I will not hesitate to report them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Karma will get them, you don't need too. Protect your stress levels and move on and rise above their attitudes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (22-01-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Or....do you still have any pooey pants you could stuff in their muffler?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast