+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Itchy after shower ???

Just wondering if anyone is feeling my pain. I itch for at least an hour after I have a shower. Sometimes it's mild sometimes I just want to itch my skin off. I have heard that something in the shower gels can do it (sodium laureth sulfate) it's in everything! I am considering making my own soap, gel and shampoo and conditioner it's getting so bad. I dread it. I get so tense before the shower I just can't relax in anticipation. Does anyone else have this problem? If you have is there anything you have done to help it?

My dr suggested it could be the water but it's fine if I use the water outside of the shower so I think it's to products. I have used dermaveen, moogoo and the green one but I forget what that's called now and none of them have helped

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm could it be the heat, not the products? Usually soap free products like dermaveen will stop the itching (unless it's actually your shampoo that's doing it). The shave gel I bought did that too me, it was just horrible, and I've noticed the same with many soap products.

My Mum breaks out in a very itchy rash if she showers in water that's too hot. Have you tried having a lukewarm shower and seeing if it makes any difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get itchy after showers in winter and when pregnant. Usually cause the water is too hot. Try slathering yourself in moisturiser BEFORE going in the shower. It will protect the skin from being sapped off moisture, which ironically a shower can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a really bad reaction to the new dettol profresh shower gel. It started out as just itching, but then I had a red angry rash all over my arms, but couldn't work out what it was. I did a process of elimination. It was the Profresh. Even stuff like 'clear' branded shampoo makes me itch. My mum only uses QV products due to her being allergic to almost ever product on the market.

When I was a kid also, I got very itchy after a shower because it was too hot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get itchy if the water is too hot as it dries my skin.
    A slap of moisturizer after the shower usually fixes it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get this. My dr said I was allergic to something in soap, cant remember what though. He recommended using Sorbeline (sp?) Cream instead. No more itching!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Itchy after shower ???

I have tried moisturiser after the shower but still the same thing. I don't get a rash but I do get red but that's from all the scratching. I have tried cold (as cold as I can stand) showers that hasn't helped, I haven't tried using sorboline to wash with. Will try that.

Once found a name for the condition
    Aquagenic pruritus but I don't know if that's the problem because I don't think it's the contact with the water. I guess I am going to have to keep trying everything until I find something that works.
    Last edited by bigZ; 20-01-2015 at 07:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually stopped using shower gels/body washes entirely because I would lay awake at night itching. I use MooGoo products (face cleanser, shampoo, conditioner etc) in the shower but if my skin is feeling particularly dry/itchy then I slather myself in oil once I've turned the water off & rub it in until I'm dry enough to just lightly towel off. I use coconut oil because I only do it occasionally, but if you were doing it every day you'd want to find something non-comodogenic (doesn't clog pores) like maybe a Moroccan argan oil or rosehip oil? Though I don't know how expensive that might be.
    I read that applying oil to wet skin locks in 10x more moisture than cream on dry skin but I don't know exactly how true that is. Hope that helps

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    OP your doctor could be right. I had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago. Turned out it was because I'm sensitive to chlorine and the water had a slightly higher level of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    OP your doctor could be right. I had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago. Turned out it was because I'm sensitive to chlorine and the water had a slightly higher level of it.
    How did you fix that?