+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mascara sarah View Post
    I'm in. DH has started working for himself this year so will need to watch our pennies until his income picks up.

Trying to be disciplined and meal plan to help stick to a grocery budget. Allowed a big shop on a Sunday and a top up on Thursday only.

I have also setup a couple of online bank accounts with an alternate banking institution to "hide" money for our goals/big bills so I don't get tempted to touch these for everyday things. I have automatic direct debits from our main accounts set up - if I don't see it I can't spend it!

Interested to know what 5 food staples you keep in your pantry/freezer in case of emergency?
    My 'staples' are bread, milk, cheese, tomato paste, chicken

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

mascara sarah  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Nth qld. I need diesel so it just that bit more expensive.
    Oh same here, you're lucky then, our diesel is 1.25 which is still better then usual I guess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by mascara sarah View Post
    Interested to know what 5 food staples you keep in your pantry/freezer in case of emergency?
    Ok I just can't do 5.

Freezer

Mince
    Puff pastry
    Bacon

Pantry

Patsa
    Tin tomato
    Herbs/spice
    Sr Flour
    Tuna
    Sugar

Fridge

Milk
    Eggs
    Butter
    Cheese

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

mascara sarah  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Oh so much success!!! You know even not buying those energy drinks is a frugal step in the right direction .. Yay

Here's my day 1.

I haven't spent a cent. I have a small list of groceries I need to buy but I had enough to get through today and the kids lunches are made for tomorrow. I made them pancakes for breakfast using just SR flour, eggs and milk. I doubled the batch so I'll pop some in their lunch boxes this week as well.

I'll shop tomorrow for the rest of the things (really just milk, bread, bananas & corn).

I was tempted to chuck the boys clothes in the drier today (A terrible habit I've kept up since the rain) but instead I popped them on my line. I live in an apartment so my line is a free standing one on my patio and takes longer to dry because it's not in the sun ... But still a saving in money.

My long term goal is to save a deposit for a house. I'm a part-time working single parent so my entire family income is less than $50k until I return FT. I'm not even sure if paying off a mortgage is doable.

I've always had my bills etc. automatically set up to be paid fortnightly but I've added another auto transaction. I looked at the mortgage repayments on the loan I'd like to borrow and calculated the difference between that and my rent. I'm now paying that into an interest earning/no fee account to 'practise' living without that money. It's just a start as I know I'll have rates, repairs, etc. but I thought I needed to do something to aim towards owning a home again and the plus side is I can't access it easily so it's forced savings.

Now I'm hoping I can stick to my grocery list tomorrow :/
    We have got 2 home loans with one income under 5ok it is doable if you find a place cheap enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Oh so much success!!! You know even not buying those energy drinks is a frugal step in the right direction .. Yay

Here's my day 1.

I haven't spent a cent. I have a small list of groceries I need to buy but I had enough to get through today and the kids lunches are made for tomorrow. I made them pancakes for breakfast using just SR flour, eggs and milk. I doubled the batch so I'll pop some in their lunch boxes this week as well.

I'll shop tomorrow for the rest of the things (really just milk, bread, bananas & corn).

I was tempted to chuck the boys clothes in the drier today (A terrible habit I've kept up since the rain) but instead I popped them on my line. I live in an apartment so my line is a free standing one on my patio and takes longer to dry because it's not in the sun ... But still a saving in money.

My long term goal is to save a deposit for a house. I'm a part-time working single parent so my entire family income is less than $50k until I return FT. I'm not even sure if paying off a mortgage is doable.

I've always had my bills etc. automatically set up to be paid fortnightly but I've added another auto transaction. I looked at the mortgage repayments on the loan I'd like to borrow and calculated the difference between that and my rent. I'm now paying that into an interest earning/no fee account to 'practise' living without that money. It's just a start as I know I'll have rates, repairs, etc. but I thought I needed to do something to aim towards owning a home again and the plus side is I can't access it easily so it's forced savings.

Now I'm hoping I can stick to my grocery list tomorrow :/
    If I looked it up properly the mortgage repayments on the house I currently rent are close to what I rent it at the house was purchased for 137k

Oh so depressing lol partly why I wish to get back to work as even if I'm only earning same amount I may get a loan when working I won't on spp

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I try and run the washing machine and dishwasher at night to save money (we have solar panels so better to draw from the grid at night rather than our generated power in the day).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] RaryGirl View Post
    I try and run the washing machine and dishwasher at night to save money (we have solar panels so better to draw from the grid at night rather than our generated power in the day).
    You've just reminded me I need to investigate what tariff my electricity is on. I have no idea!!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I will join too. I can always find ways to spend money, but I am not too bad at saving when I set my mind to it. I have a few bills this month so I need to focus on saving now. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I don't have solar but opt to do washing in off peak periods to save money. I usually set the washing machine to start at about 5:30 to finish around 6:30 (peak rates kick in at 7) if washing during the week. I save any extra loads like linen until the weekend when it's cheaper as well. It probably only makes a slight difference but all adds up in the end I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Frugal February!!

I peeked in the freezer before I went shopping and I really didn't have a lot of variety for the boys. So I bought some budget rump steak and minced it up and it into 36 meatballs and 25 mini sausages rolls. First time I've made puff pastry from scratch. It never ceases to amaze how simple things are to cook that I seem to think will be tricky! I've also got a bit of cream to use up. I'm going to make some of it into butter and buttermilk and I've found a recipe for a cream cake. I don't often make cakes so will be a nice treat. Not much sugar in it either .. Win!
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 02-02-2015 at 12:51.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (02-02-2015)