+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] RaryGirl View Post
    I just thoroughly cleaned out the pantry and made sure everything is only one deep (unless multiples of the same) so I can see everything at a glance and stop the buying more of the same because it was hidden in the back.
    That's what I need to do desperately need to do. It's dd2 job to put away groceries and she been a bit lazy lately (throwing things anywhere) that and my 3 yr old rearranging it for me. We need to do a big clean out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh so much success!!! You know even not buying those energy drinks is a frugal step in the right direction .. Yay

Here's my day 1.

I haven't spent a cent. I have a small list of groceries I need to buy but I had enough to get through today and the kids lunches are made for tomorrow. I made them pancakes for breakfast using just SR flour, eggs and milk. I doubled the batch so I'll pop some in their lunch boxes this week as well.

I'll shop tomorrow for the rest of the things (really just milk, bread, bananas & corn).

I was tempted to chuck the boys clothes in the drier today (A terrible habit I've kept up since the rain) but instead I popped them on my line. I live in an apartment so my line is a free standing one on my patio and takes longer to dry because it's not in the sun ... But still a saving in money.

My long term goal is to save a deposit for a house. I'm a part-time working single parent so my entire family income is less than $50k until I return FT. I'm not even sure if paying off a mortgage is doable.

I've always had my bills etc. automatically set up to be paid fortnightly but I've added another auto transaction. I looked at the mortgage repayments on the loan I'd like to borrow and calculated the difference between that and my rent. I'm now paying that into an interest earning/no fee account to 'practise' living without that money. It's just a start as I know I'll have rates, repairs, etc. but I thought I needed to do something to aim towards owning a home again and the plus side is I can't access it easily so it's forced savings.

Now I'm hoping I can stick to my grocery list tomorrow :/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    That's what I need to do desperately need to do. It's dd2 job to put away groceries and she been a bit lazy lately (throwing things anywhere) that and my 3 yr old rearranging it for me. We need to do a big clean out.
    Oh I love a good pantry challenge!!! From memory you're so good at making things from your supplies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good day today. Made a batch of English muffins instead of buying which can be breakfast for the week and DH and I went to Kmart and bought nothing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Oh I love a good pantry challenge!!! From memory you're so good at making things from your supplies!!
    I try but I think your the queen of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    I set one up just for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Well I just did my grocery shopping on the first day of being frugal..whoops! Lol. It should last 2 weeks though with the exception of bread/fruit & veg top up. So works out to be about $80/ wk which ain't too shabby.
    Currently have some banana bread in the oven for school lunches as well as sushi rice in the rice cooker to make sushi. So that is mostly sorted for the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. We're going to try hard and pay extra towards our mortgage this year. This thread should be interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    First day semi fail here.
    Went to get groceries hoping to 50 and spent 98.
    In saying that I got ingredients to make a heap of snack and school stuff that will Save me heaps in the long run. I even scored cheap petrol 1.20 a ltr woohoo.
    Where do you live?? Our petrol has been under a dollar recently, amazing!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    Where do you live?? Our petrol has been under a dollar recently, amazing!
    Nth qld. I need diesel so it just that bit more expensive.