+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I'm also curious who doesn't recommend it? I've used it in 2 hospitals in the last 13 months. I've googled and can't find anything
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I have used these before and they are great but I think what buttoneska means is hospitals no longer recommend bottles be sterilized. Having had a prem baby in nicu myself the recommendation for us was to wash in warm soapy water and rinse off in hot water. The idea behind it is to help build immunity because the world is becoming too sterile and sick because of it. At least that is what I was told.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Yeh sorry I haven't been around today. When my son was in nicu they told me not to use anything other then hot soapy water
    Hmm, that's interesting that some hospitals do use them but then others have said not to... Maybe it's a NICU specific recommendation? Just guessing based on the above posts.

I just did a quick Google search for general recommendations - a WHO pdf (a few years old) and a Govt website (a few months old) both advise sterilisation.

Not trying to dismiss your concerns, we just haven't come across any info that says sterilising is bad (put simply), and therefore we wouldn't have any issue supporting a company that sells sterilising equipment etc.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-community For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (20-01-2015),just her chameleon  (20-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-community View Post
    Hmm, that's interesting that some hospitals do use them but then others have said not to... Maybe it's a NICU specific recommendation? Just guessing based on the above posts.

I just did a quick Google search for general recommendations - a WHO pdf (a few years old) and a Govt website (a few months old) both advise sterilisation.

Not trying to dismiss your concerns, we just haven't come across any info that says sterilising is bad (put simply), and therefore we wouldn't have any issue supporting a company that sells sterilising equipment etc.
    They were used on the antenatal ward, NICU & SCN. I know that some NICUs don't sterilise anymore, but others do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Degrassi View Post
    Do you just throw them into the toilet to dissolve in the water?
    Yeah I usually throw 2 in every now and then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Yeh sorry I haven't been around today. When my son was in nicu they told me not to use anything other then hot soapy water
    That doesn't mean these specifically, you need to be careful how you word statements like that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-community View Post

Yeah I think it's just a preference thing. They said the same thing when dd1(normal and term) was born almost 10 years ago but then still accommodated those that wanted to sterilize their bottles and dummies etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was told to sterilise everything when my DD was born and stayed in NICU.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep my daughter was in NICU and PICU and several hospital stays and we were told to sterilize.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    How often is regularly? I sterilize about once every week - 10 days (to give the bottles a nice extra good clean) but not every day...if thats ok I'd like to try them, I could steralize more often whilst trialing them if need be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did think maybe it was an opinion-based thing across different hospitals/carers etc. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Still need reviewers for whoever is interested!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    How often is regularly? I sterilize about once every week - 10 days (to give the bottles a nice extra good clean) but not every day...if thats ok I'd like to try them, I could steralize more often whilst trialing them if need be?
    Just saw your question, sorry! I guess regularly would be enough to get a good idea of a product over the course of 2 weeks.. so if you think you would sterilise often enough to form an opinion, then sure you can trial them!