+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dual Passport Help

Ok I couldn't find where to put this as I am not travelling with kids - well not physical kids my husband will be 35 this year going on 8

So my DH has 3 grandparents that are british - 2 are left alive (both Granddads)

His parents are now separated but were married when they had him and are both New Zealander's. DH was born in New Zealand in 1980

I have been trying to research online but can't for the life of me work it out. Is there any hubbers with Dual passports that know the system a little clearer than I? Is he eligible for a descent passport? Does his parents need to get one first? Does it need to be his Dad? I saw somewhere it has to be through fathers?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can't help you with British passport or NZ, but I hold dual citizenship because when my older brother and I were born my Dad was still a citizen of another country, however by the time my sister and younger brother were born, my Dad had to renounce his dual citizenship to become an 'Australian citizen' and be nationalised to have a government job here, and therefore my brother and sister are now not able to get dual citizenship despite my Dad and his parents not having been born in Australia.
    Each country has it's own rules and requirements in keeping your dual passports, some are indefinite, others expect you to reside outside of Australia every so often, it just depends.

I guess the best thing for you to do is to ring (or visit) the Consulate of the country you wish to have a passport in and they will be able to explicitly tell you if your DH is eligible or not.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 19-01-2015 at 16:04. Reason: tired...typos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

EverydayDreamer  (19-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah didn't think of that! Great thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Victoria
    British Consulate-General

Consulate-General:
    Level 17, 90 Collins Street
    Melbourne Vic 3000
    Tel: (03) 9652 1600
    Fax: (03) 9650 2990
    Hours of Business:
    Monday - Friday: 10.00 a.m. - 12.30 p.m., 1.30 p.m. - 4.00 p.m.

And for your New Zealand queries:

Enquiries related to Passports, Citizenship and birth, death and marriage certificates

New Zealand Passport Office
    Level 10, 55 Hunter Street
    Sydney NSW 2000
    Australia

Mailing Address: GPO Box 365
    Sydney NSW 2001
    Australia

Telephone: 1300 559 535 (including weekend emergencies)
    Facsimile: +61 -(0)2 - 9223 0223
    Office hours: Mon-Tues: 0900-1600hrs, Wed: 0930 - 1600hrs,Thurs-Fri: 0900 - 1600hrs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think one of the parents has to be British. I don't think the child is entitled to a British passport based on grandparent status alone

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My boys were born in new Zealand but because I'm Auzzy they can get dual passports.
    When doing the paperwork you need the parents birth certificate. Sorry I don't have a lot of info apart from that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got dual Aus Brit thru parents born there. Aussie friends I met whilst living in London were on 4 year ancestral visas through grandfathers born there, then got a British passport after the 4 years was up. This was 10 years ago though so may be different now.
    Not sure how it'd work if you weren't there though sorry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I have a dual British/Aus passport - I was naturalised british as my adoptive mum was british not my dad. However my natural father was so I may have qualified should they had to contest it.

When I enquired about my kids what they told me is that it can be handed down from grandparent to their child but not again from that child to theirs. So I can't hand it down to my children. However because I'm adopted they actually sever the grandparent link to the children so I may be able to.

Whether or not this is the case due to maternal hand me down rather than paternal I couldn't be certain as it was a while ago. If you ring the embassy they help you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I am duel Australian/British and have carried 2 passports before. At the time you only needed 1 parent or 1 grandparent but I believe if it was a grandparent then it had to be a grandfather, not a grandmother. That was 20ish years ago though so it may have changed. Both my parents were born in England although they have been naturalised Australians for 30+ years. Traveling with 2 passports did make life a little easier, I usually used my British passport because the countries I was traveling to I didn't need visas but I would have if I only had an Australian passport.

I wonder if DH and the kids would be eligible to have a British passport because of my heritage?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I just looked it up as I was curious myself, I was born in the UK to a British father in 1988 and a NZ mother. I can become a citizen by 'registration' which is what your DH would be looking at - naturalisation is if you have lived there for a certain period of time (as I understand it).

Unfortunately though, doesn't seem as though grandparents are considered anymore - I have a feeling they used to be, but appears he can't get citizenship (& therefore dual citizenship) on that basis anymore.

ETA - got my info from this link https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ChelleBH For This Useful Post: