+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I don't want to do this anymore..

Ladies.. I'm struggling, and as the title suggests I don't have it in me to complete this degree anymore. I am in the final stages of an accounting degree (6 units to go)..

I feel like the stress and anxiety of trying to complete this very finicky and fiddly degree is doing my head in, and I'm not in the present moment with my kids. I'm irritated and angry all the time, my house is a mess and I'm just not here. I'm living 1 year, 2 years down the track trying to get through this.

I don't know what to do.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Roughly how long does 6 units take to finish?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They're staggered out, it's another 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you defer for a year or even 6 months?

I did that last year. Actually year before last, from mid year to mid year last year. I actually ended up deferring due to an interstate prac that I just could not do logistically, so I deferred, planning on changing uni's. But to be honest, I was feeling the same as you; I don't think I had it in me to even complete the degree (more written subjects) that year. I was just too stressed and completely overwhelmed with balancing uni and kids.
    So I had my 6 months off, applied to the new uni, that didn't work out, which meant I had to continue at my current uni, which my subject didn't start until mid year. So I had a further 6 months off, which was just SO nice.
    Then I was all nicely re-energised, so even managed to do that stupid interstate placement. After that I had my final written subjects, I was really worried that after taking such a long break that I'd be all rusty at it, but it was actually the opposite! I did really really well, as I wasn't burnt out.

Everyone kept telling me just to stick it out. But I honestly think I would've had a break down if I did. I am a bit miffed that this degree took me longer than planned, but I just couldn't of done it. So I am very glad I took that year off, my poor head couldn't have taken it anymore!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely understand that feeling. I had that many, many times during my degree and came so close to throwing it all in. I stuck with it, and have just graduated (after studying part time with kids for 10 years!). I am now so glad that I did hang in there.

I personally found the last 12 months the hardest. If you can hang in there for that bit longer then all that hard work will be rewarded. If you withdraw now then you will still have endured all the irritability and messy house and challenges but without the satisfaction at the end.

When you finally get to the end it will feel amazing and you will be deservedly proud of yourself. You can do it!

Thanks
    Reviews

I am in a similar situation to you – 6-12 months of a post graduate degree left to complete.I have finished the coursework and placements and I am just writing my thesis now.I HATE writing my thesis! It stresses me out and makes me anxious.I tend to procrastinate which just makes the whole thing worse.I have considered many times just dropping out.However, I know I will regret this in the future.I also believe it would look bad on a resume.For those reasons, and considering the sacrifices and hard work I have put in to date, I keep going.I know it’s hard and stressful, but if you can possibly manage it, keep going – you are almost there (even though it doesn’t feel that way).Are there practical changes to your lifestyle that could make things easier? I have just dropped from 3 short-ish days to 2 long days.This means less travelling time and I am less likely to think “I can’t be bothered going in today, I will study from home instead (which equals nothing being done!”.Being on campus helps me to focus.In order to do this DH has had to pick up some of the slack and do drop offs/pick ups from daycare.

I also see a psychologist (for anxiety) who is fantastic for practical suggestions - she is a mum of young kids too and has good tips for the study/life balance. She helps me to focus on the end result and reminds me why I wanted to complete this degree in the first place.

I would suggest making a list of things needed to help the household run as smoothly as possible – have a think about how to split these things between your partner and yourself and any ways you can ******line things as much as possible to help manage your time (e.g. cooking in bulk).

You can do this!

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    agree - perhaps defer for 6 months if you can - but it really is worthwhile finishing it.

It is tough though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely know what you mean and how you feel. I am expecting a baby in 7 weeks time and will start up uni again about 2 weeks before baby arrives. I don't think I have it in me and I know I won't care about it at all when baby arrives. Sadly I can't defer else I lose everything I have achieved so far. My thoughts are that I have to do it but I'm going to do the minimum work as possible and literally aim to get a pass. If I don't finish it I know I'll regret it. I'm also trying to see it as I'm doing for my little one, for his/her future and for our families future. I am trying to focus on that.

The decision at the end of the day is yours. I wish you all the best!