+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    Also we looked into DH's superannuation fund and found out there is an income protection insurance in their package plus a payment in the event of death so we cancelled the seperate Income Protection Insurance we were paying for.
    Other ways to save are to plan meals and only buy what you really need for the week. Try buying in bulk and feezing meats, etc. Food is a huge part of our weekly spend so I try to cut it where I can. Once a week I do a meat free meal with rice/pasta/lentils to cut costs.
    We don't have life insurance as we also found there was a death payment in DHs super fund.

We also shop at Aldi, don't go on holidays, don't get our hair/nails done, get everything 2nd hand or free, and we have old cars

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gas
    water
    electricity
    mob phones (mines prepaid, dp's is on a plan)
    petrol (diesel)
    food
    rates
    mortgage

we use the internet on our phones or at the library. We don't have pay tv or a landline. We own the car too. No credit cards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Off the top of my head:

Car rego x 2
    Car insurance x 2
    House and contents insurance
    Pet insurance
    Mortgage
    Gas
    Electricity
    Water
    Rates
    Body corp fee
    Pre paid phone x 2
    Internet
    Victeach license x 2
    Fuel
    Education fund for DD
    Savings account for DD ($20 a fn)
    Entertainment account for DD (covers swimming lessons, music etc - $25 a week)
    Clothes/toys account for DD ($22.50 a week)
    Pocket money x 2 (myself and DH - $50 a week each)
    Food account ($32 a day)
    Car service x 2
    Savings ($200 a month)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bigZ View Post
    It seems we are about the same as everyone else, give or take a few items. I just can't find anywhere else so cut costs. I guess this is it, until I go back to work not much savings will made.
    You've listed very essential items there. What is UFC membership? Can that be cut?

Also you should look at the providers if gas, electric, phones, internet etc to find a better deal.

Consolidate your debts into a 0% interest credit card.

When shopping write a meal plan based on what you already have in your fridges, freezer and pantry so you use up what you have and only buy what is on your list. Also plan your meals that use only a few key fresh fruit and veg ingredients so you don't have too much in your fridge drawers that is likely to rot.

Buy non-perishables in bulk when on sale - think tinned tomatoes, pasta, rice, tuna, corn, peas. Bulk buy meat items and freeze. Buy generic brands if you can - things like flour, rice, tinned items.

If kids are still in nappies and you use Huggies, try another brand there are some great brands out there now that are good quality and that are cheaper.

Go through every room in your house and pull out things you no longer need or use and list them on gumtree if they're still in good condition - think sports equipment, electronic devices, kitchen appliances, baby items, toys, furniture etc.

Buy your kids clothes at best and less, big w, k-mart, target etc.

Set limits on what you spend on gifts.

Turn appliances off at the plug and turn lights off in rooms you aren't using.

Time your showers to save water

Make your own coffee at home and bring out and about in a thermos mug.

Always bring a packed lunch to work or if you don't work when you go out.

Stop buying fruit juices, cordials, soft drinks and replace with water (or sparkling only costs $0.75 for a litre).

Unsubscribe from all shopping emails and delete any shopping apps from your phone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently did the same thing, trying to figure out what we can cut out.. there really isn't anything, except Foxtel -- however we are on a contract so locked in for now... and this is hubby's one luxury so he says no !!

We pay for:
    Rent
    Loan
    Foxtel
    Phone payments (handsets) x2
    Phone bill (usgage) x2
    Car insurance x2
    Contents insurance
    Electricity
    Gas
    Daycare
    Kindy
    Groceries
    Petrol
    DH Cricket
    Rego x2 (although 1 is unregistered at the moment)

Then extras that come up... excursions, birthdays, car servicing etc... We are on prepaid internet so only buy credit if we have the spare cash.

I did comparisons on insurance etc and we already have the best deals (I did this about 2 years ago as well)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are you paying for?

For those of you with strata and body corp - do you need home insurance? Usually your body corp will cover building, you just need contents.

I just skipped around on our contents insurance and saved $200.