Closed Thread
Page 93 of 108 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Minib no idea. Will need to go and have a look. But i think the cot one is just a little off so i'm gonna try it when we make up the cot. You will need one for the pram bassinet as well if you have one with the pram.

Yeh i've heard that too...not sure why but i remember saying it prevents SIDS if you have the arms swaddled in. The boori bassinet has breathable material all 4 sides of the bassinet so hopefully that reduces risk of SIDS as well. I'm gonna be so stressed as a new mum i rekon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh good point about the pram bassinet. I think there's one with the pram. Not sure. Have to check. As you can see, I'm not sure of the details for the hand me down things. It's all at mums and she won't let me pick them up until I'm in third trimester. She said after 7 months not earlier. Boo. I'm an organised person so would have loved to know more about the stuff.

I don't think SIDS is very common isn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    no not common but i know it'll still worry me. Guess infertility isn't common either but we have it. Guess it just makes you more paranoid about the minority.

How come your mum won't let you pick it up before 7 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah after what we went through, we get paranoid over small things right. I feel the same way. Just like I don't want to fly. We went overseas with the first pregnancy. Had a miscarriage. I know nothing to do with it but I don't want to repeat history.

My mum doesn't want to jinx anything. Also apparently in our tradition, don't set things up or buy things too early. Being asian, quite a few traditions. Not allowed to attend funeral during pregnancy. Some even believe don't attend wedding because might clash the energy from the bride and we believe bride has the strongest energy of the day. Can't move house. Can't move any furniture in the house even. Lots of things to follow if we choose to. Mum has been good but if it bothers her she would say something eg funeral. A lot of things she didn't care as much eg moving. She just told me to be careful and not hurt myself.

Have you heard of myth not to lift your arms high cos it can cause miscarriage? Mum told me that. It's not just a chinese myth though. There's a myth that umbilical cord can wrap around baby neck. It's not true of course. But she kept telling me not to hang the washing out. I asked ob then explain to mum. She laughed and said oops she doesn't know science so just believe what she heard from others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you're the same as my friend @Minib. Miscarriage after flying and then never flew again when pregnant even tho she knew it had nothing to do with it. Well so science tells us but who knows right. Better safe than sorry.

yes i've heard all of those chinese myths. My mum told me not to reach for things high up either but when i do yoga or pilates i'm always stretching and reaching. Though i also very paranoid about cord accident. Tho apparently there's nothing that can be prevented. I think the reaching thing must be an old wives tale.

Would you still attend a wedding? i have a family member getting married in Sep (just before bub is due). I think she will be officially married weeks before and this will just be a dinner to gather the family around. Does this still count do you think? haha i'm starting to get superstitious! What about attending christenings? is this ok?

I can understand not wanting to jinx things. I didn't want to set up the nursery early. But i think now that i'm 30 weeks it's about time. :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    you're the same as my friend @Minib. Miscarriage after flying and then never flew again when pregnant even tho she knew it had nothing to do with it. Well so science tells us but who knows right. Better safe than sorry.

yes i've heard all of those chinese myths. My mum told me not to reach for things high up either but when i do yoga or pilates i'm always stretching and reaching. Though i also very paranoid about cord accident. Tho apparently there's nothing that can be prevented. I think the reaching thing must be an old wives tale.

Would you still attend a wedding? i have a family member getting married in Sep (just before bub is due). I think she will be officially married weeks before and this will just be a dinner to gather the family around. Does this still count do you think? haha i'm starting to get superstitious! What about attending christenings? is this ok?

I can understand not wanting to jinx things. I didn't want to set up the nursery early. But i think now that i'm 30 weeks it's about time. :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would still attend a wedding but not funeral. To me, it's not just the energy but it's two very different events. Funeral is so sad so I will avoid it. I'm already hormonal with this pregnancy. Cry a lot watching tv or read a sad story.

No one has said anything about christening. Not a common thing in chinese but I would say it's fine. Bbhope might know this one better.

Mum was quite shocked too when I told her about some of the things I do at Pilates. She was a bit concerned but I just reassure her it's safe.

I was going to set up the nursery when I'm 25 weeks. End of this month but I might wait until end of sep. Just to be safe. Once it's in my head, it will keep playing up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha....that's why i would rather not knowing any of the superstitious stuff. After you know it, when bad thing happens, there is a guilt there! I did fly during my first trimester. I was very worried about it but in the end i just did my best. More fluid, clexane, walking in the cabin, pressure sock etc. It was the food and drink that got me annoyed in the end -- something i couldn't control.

I googled all the chinese myths that you mentioned. Some are just common sense, which western culture have them as well. eg: not lifting and moving stuff. It comes down to personal belief. To me, if it doesn't make scientific sense, I just ignore it. Touchwood, right? That's the reason I've so much conflict with my parents who are religious and superstitious. At some points, I told them that I feel like they are cursing me if i don't follow it. That's why no more phone call. I've had enough stress with this pregnancy and i don't need the extra. Unlike you, Minib, very good in pleasing your mom. I said just NO outright for a lot of things and she is rather frustrated.

i didn't know that you can't get the stuff before 7 months. When I was in my first trimester, one of my IVF friends on BH asked why i didn't buy anything on my business trip. Stuff is so cheap in the States. I said it is too early. She thought i was being superstitious. Nope. It is just too early and i don't even know what's useful to buy anyway
    @Gelati: you ask the wrong person -- me. Minib might have a different opinion. I am in Australia and it is my life. I'll attend friend wedding. I would even attend DH's family funeral back home when i was 8w pregnant, except there wasn't one. DH would feel strange if i don't go to our friend's wedding because of a myth. He already starts to think my mom's belief being very bizarre.

Actually, I once prayed to God when we had our last shot of having DH bio child. I am not religious but yet i made a promise to God. Miracle has happened and i got pregnant with our only good embryo. BUT the excitement didn't last long. Ever since, i feel so foolish of believing in it. If there is God, why a nice guy like DH cannot have his own child? And bin Laden has X number? That's why now i have such a strong opinion about religious belief and superstitious stuff. Sorry if i offend anyone who is religious here. Don't kick me off the board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope - i wish i was as level headed as you. But once i know something i feel bad not following. As long as it's practical. The wedding thing i'm not so sure....will most likely go to the wedding as it does sound pretty silly. It's not nice that your parents keep saying things knowing that it stresses you out. My mum is not very superstitious but she does tell me some of these things. Sometimes she follows but if it's too hard she's quite practical still.

My personal belief about god is that god does exist in some form. And to some extent i do believe earth where we all exist is some sort of test. I don't think everything in this world should be fair or good for god to exist. I think evil and good will always be there and sometimes evil wins and sometimes good wins. So far it seems there is more good than evil which is always nice to see. Overall i do think good prevails over evil. But maybe i think that because i live in australia. I'm sure if i grew up in Afghanistan or some parts of africa i would think otherwise. I'm sure it's hard to believe in good when you have grown up in those kinds of conditions and have seen nothing but horror and evil. Maybe each one of us is put to a test in different conditions? Anyways i'm just blabbering. Clearly i dont have the answers lol.
    @Minib i'm the same as you, once it's in my head i can't seem to shake it unless it's just really impractical. i hadn't heard of the 7 month rule either but i was like bbhope - just didn't want to do it too early. All i could picture was me having this nursery set up and then no baby....really made me sad so i waited.
    Last edited by Gelati; 10-08-2015 at 22:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh...ya, as for christening. I have never been to one because we don't go to church. My husband is brought up christian, though. Haha...i thought being married one, i got to have a church wedding. A fairy tale wedding that they always show on TV -- the prince charming picks up the bride with a white horse. LOL. No...that's not what i thought but i did imagine a horse carriage and a church wedding back in Europe. It turned out a lot of my friends back home had a church wedding.