Closed Thread
Page 82 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just reading your diet, minib. U have a very small stomach. I never feel satisfied with my breakfast or morning snack. Toast, avocado, cheese and tomato only last my hunger an hr. cereal gives me the same feeling. Then I ended up a big early lunch with rice and Veges. Morning is the worst time for me to get through as I am constantly hungry. Perhaps a supper might help. Not sure.

As for portion control, I did that when I tried to lose few more kgs before another IVF cycle (not that I was overweight). I am trying this again after last Friday appt. with GD, I would have been automatically eligible to get in the public hospital that I wanted to go to early on. Oh well. I am seeing a diabetes educator tmr. I can't believe that I am spending $ for someone to tell me how to eat. Oh well, for baby and my health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good work on having your daily fruit intake @Minib. Hopefully it puts off having carbs or sugar for snacks (not having bread is good ) Try to slowly reduce your intake. I was having 2 pieces of toast with jam and butter. Now i have 1 piece of toast with only butter. I replaced the other piece with a boiled egg or fruit with greek yoghurt and only a very small drop of honey to take the sourness away. And then just slowly reduce your carb intake at each meal or even try one meal with no carbs and replace with pumpkin or sweet potato. Or even just a little mashed potato is better than wheat (pasta / bread). Also try omelette. Cut up some vegies for the week and then it's real easy. I've been having more than 2 fruits a day jsut to get away from the sugar craving. I have mandarin, apple, strawberries and a banana. Not everyday but when i'm feeling a big craving i have 4 fruits. I figure it's better than having a piece of cake! hehe. If i still can't calm the craving i will have a raisin toast with butter (apparently diabetics can have this) or 2 vita wheat with vegemite. I'm also snacking on carrot and celery sticks and walnuts. Hope this gives you some ideas!

Have you only put on 5kgs till week 20? that's not bad at all. I have put on 11kgs by week 26! And i'm slim build. But then today i had a nurse who was sooo skinny and she said she put on over 20kg in her pregnancy and she lost it all after pregnancy through breast feeding. She's really skinny now. She told me not to worry about how much we put on especially if you don't look like you've put on lots of weight. Could all be water retention or belly. And just look after what you eat. As we know tho...cut down on carbs and sugar.

3 serves of fish a day??? you mean a week right? because i think 3 a day is way too much. Instead of salmon have you tried ocean trout? that seems to be less strong in smell. Or you could try some white fish like snapper or barramundi. It's not as high in omega 3 but it's still better than nothing otherwise the blackmores prenatals have omega 3 in them. Eat walnuts too....they are packed with protein and omega 3. Good to hear you are having calcium supplements as calcium is important. I've been addicted to cheese and milk which has probably contributed to my weight gain! again i'm limiting my intake now....not a full glass of milk and limiting cheese intake (tho it's hard!)
    @bbhope - i don't think cutting out carbs fully would have helped prevent GD for you. They say there's nothing you could have done. At least this will force you to be healthy for the rest of your pregnancy. If it wasn't for the finger prick test i wouldn't be worried about diet controlled GD so much as it would fore me to be healthy. It's just the finger prick test that makes me scared. I'm like minib - for some reason GD test has worried me a bit. Oh well i will know soon enough.

Oh and i wouldn't be eating supper. Try not to eat anything after 7pm. Especially if you have heartburn. Also your body doesn't burn the food off. So if you are to have sugar and carbs...better to have it for breakfast rather than dinner. Try not to have any sugar or carbs after 4pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was gonna to say the same thing. 5kg?! Wow. @Minib, your carb diet isn't too bad. ;( I am like you @Gelati, 11kg so far. OB said a good weight gain for normal BMI prior preg is 16kg max but we shouldn't stress too much.

It is hard for mento finish dinner by 7pm. I got off work at 6pm normally. Home 6:30pm. Then if I cook like tonight, I finished eating at 7:30pm. I guess another thing I hate about this needle pricking thing is the timing. I feel like back to IVF again. 2hrs after meal. I have to remember! Aspirin supposes to be same time everyday as well but I haven't been on time. Just roughly about the same time since the half life is longer.

Enjoy the scan tmr, @Minib.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh my OB said 11kg is a bit too much at that point and to cut down on carbs and sugar.

i think if you have healthy dinners eating after 7 is fine. try to have low carb dinners and reduce portion as you probably need the least amount at dinner but a lot of people eat the most for dinner.

you have to take asprin for diabetes? aww, i know that must suck. How many times a day do you have to finger prick?

how did you go today @Minib?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati your ob said 11kgs at 28 weeks is a lot? Really? My ob simply refused to weigh me. He looked at me and said I look fine and healthy.

But of course I weigh myself weekly and thought 5.7kg so far for 20 weeks is a lot haha. I heard some people only put on 10-12kgs for the whole pregnancy. But anyway, everyone us different and I'm not going to stress. I'll lose the weight later after baby. My bestie put on 20kgs for each pregnancy and lost it all. She is a ver petite size 6 pre pregnancy so 20 kgs was almost half her body weight.

Tonight I had chicken pie and salad. For sundays, we cook roast chicken and veggie or salad. But other days full of carb. Asian food too so yeah could be heavy, full of flavour and spicy.

Scan went really well today. My little missy couldn't sit still. Probably wasn't happy being poked so she kept moving and rolling. But all vital organs are good. Measuring 2 days ahead.
    @bbhope I feel for you. You have to do quite a bit for this pregnancy. Between clexane, family and now gd. Hang in there. Almost there.
    @Gelati yep lol 3 serves of fish a week not a day haha. Hey boiled egg is a good idea. That will keep me full too. I might try that. I'm not sure I can be bothered cooking omelette before work haha but boiling egg is easy. Can put it on while I'm getting ready. Oh that reminds me I've run out of walnut. Walnut isn't my fav nuts so I mix it with raw almond.

You should double check re raisin toast. I thought that is full of sugar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib good to hear all went well. Sounds like you are right on track nah 11 kg at 26 not 28 weeks. He said 3-4 kg too heavy. He didn't worry when he saw me but when I told him he said its a bit too much. but like you said everyone is diff. He just said reduce sugar and carb intake which is right. I hope I lose it all after pregnancy. Hopefully I can breastfeed so the weight will just fall off.

Yeh boiled egg is an easy one omelette is easy if you have chopped up the vegies already. Just throw it all in.

Yeh I was surprise too. But my friend is diabetic and her dr said when u are wanting something sweet raisin bread is good. It's better than weetbix! Maybe check with ur OB or dr? But I think a slice of raisin toast is def better than cake or ice cream. I only had 1 serving of carb today. Very proud of myself! I also only had one little square of choc. Tmr may be another story tho lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear that everything went well on the 20w scan! Hope they captured everything on the DVD. So disappointed that our sonographer forgot to put the DVD in so only got the very last part of it.

From what i have read, if you have normal BMI pre-preg, 11--16 kg gain is normal. However, I'm sure that it isn't true for everybody. My colleagues put on 16kg even though she was pretty active. She was still riding her bike up until 38w!!! (crazy)
    @Gelati: Good on you for only have 1 serve of carb today.

I met my diabetes educator today. A lot of food that i thought i shouldn't eat is actually OK to eat. eg: banana and mango are fine, just 1 serve (apple size). I can have carb (basmati rice/low GI brown rice, wheat pasta etc) throughout the day just 3/4 cup size. The only weird thing is that she wanted me to do the test 1hr post meal! I am sure that the blood glucose level will be through the roof since it normally takes me 30 mins to finish a meal. Slow eater.....To my surprised, the limit is also very low as well (< 7.4). I have been aiming that 2 hr post meal, which is what i heard from another GD lady as well. Anyway, if it isn't the needle phobia, i won't have mind doing 1hr and 2hr to see the difference. The diabetes educator wants me to do 4x a day rather than 3x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope wow 4 finger pricks. Ouch! You're going to run out of fingers. I feel for you. Hopefully it gets easier. End is almost here.

Eating slowly is good. You want to prevent huge glucose spikes. But isn't it 1 hr after you finish eating? How come you have to take aspirin when you have GD?

Have a bit of indigestion today. Had half of my lunch and felt full. It's good, stops me from overeating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am actually only using 4 fingers only of my left hand as i am right handed. They told me to prick on the side of the finger nail not on the pad or tip so it is less hurting. It heals quite quick as well. I will try to notch the level down and see i can just get enough blood without hurting more.

Ya, i thought about it should be 1hr after eating but the educator clearly said to count from my first bite. I just cheat a little bit going slightly over an hr because i feel it is too soon to test if i take 30 mins to eat. I like the 2hr test better if it is after my first bite. The only struggle i have is to get to 2hr in the morning because of the small breakfast portion they want me to eat. I am doing 1hr for now to follow the educator instruction. So far, has been over level despite eating like a sparrow. 2hr wasn't too bad yesterday. I'll chat with OB anyway so i'll see if anything change.

I am taking aspirin for blood thinning purpose. It is to replace clexane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh @bbhope. do you need a lot of blood to test or is a little enough. Well i would have thought if you eat slowly then the test result should be better because your body as time to work through the insulin?

that's odd there are different ways to monitor (1hr vs 2hrs). If it's true that even eating well doesn't get you below the level then you will need insulin shots?