Closed Thread
Page 81 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know a lot of people with gd. They are mainly asian though. And they were young when they got it. Under 30. So I'm not sure if age is a factor.

Omg 12 hours fasting. I think I'll struggle. And I hate sweet drinks. Even lemonade now makes me sick. But before pregnancy, I don't have lots of sweet stuff. My fav is ice cream. I could go weeks or months without chocolates, biscuits, etc. I never put sugar in tea or coffee. I used to years ago then one day I decided not to and now hate sweet drinks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Strange is that i am craving for sweet every so often now since i am pregnant! Like ice-cream, adding sugar to tea, chocolate etc. I have never craved for such things before pregnancy. Despite me craving for ice-cream, i haven't had any this pregnancy and I have only started adding sugar to tea few weeks ago. It looks like i am off sugar to tea completely now. I was still controlling myself on these stuff. However, i think my problem is most likely due to carb rather than sweet stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh @bbhope you've been better than me this pregnancy. I've had dessert and ice cream a few times. But I also think my carb intake is the issue. I eat lots of carb. Everyday. 2 serves a day most days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh you've been good @bbhope. I'm loving ice cream atm. I don't crave sugar in tea or biscuits but I crave cakes, choc and ice cream. Urgh! I try to just limit my quantity. My craving of sugar is def something diff to my normal appetite and it's not good :/ findig it really hard to stay away from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you eat dark chocolate @Gelati? In first trimester, I had some dark choc 85%. Now no choc but I do like a good ice cream like Messina ice cream. They are rich so don't need too much of it and not very sweet.

Eat it in moderation will be ok. Hopefully no gd and you can continue to indulge in some sweets

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib is 2 serves a day of carbs a lot? I have that. Like a piece of toast in the mornings and then rice for lunch. I don't think I could cut that down any more unless I absolutely had to. I'm eating whole meal and brown rice. Today I had no carbs for breakfast or lunch (although I did have yams) but had a little pasta for dinner. Yeh def couldn't reduce carbs to less than 2 times a day. Even snacks I have a vita wheat with Vegemite or sometimes a raisin toast.

The sugary drink was ok at the start - like cordial, but I struggled with the last quarter. And after I had finished it I felt ill. Just remember to have some protein after your test to help with slowing down the release of glucose. Also go for a walk to help burn it off. I felt better after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib I try to have dark choc but honestly the worst for me is cake and ice cream. Messina is a bit too rich for me, I like lighter ice cream but prob is you can eat heaps. I limit myself to 1 scoop Or 1 piece of cake 3 times a week. Been having fruit instead but it's soo unsatisfying!! lol.

Hehe yeh me too. That way I can still have some sweets.

Is your 20 week scan tmr? Enjoy seeing bubs again ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh if you count the toast then I have 3 serves of carb a day lol. 2 toasts in the morning, a big serve of jasmine rice with protein for lunch or noodles. For dinner pretty much the same or big bowl of pasta. My serving size is bad. I can't do portion control. I'm usually a slim person and have put on 5.7 kgs so far.

Second trimester though I've been better. For snacks I have mandarin. In first trimester my snack was bread again lol. I did throw up a lot so perhaps not all of them stay in my body.

Oh thanks for the tips re protein and walk. I'm dreading that more than anything - the gd test. Weird?

I'm really struggling to eat salmon too. I know it's really good for brain development but the smell is awful. Ob told me to eat fish 3 serves a day. I'm on calcium supplement as I don't take dairy really well this pregnancy. Ok in small serve but not enough as recommended.

For breakfast I have forced myself to eat cereal (which contains sugar) or wrap with avocado, tomato and cheese.

Think I eat more sugar than I thought. Once I started writing thick geez I eat a lot of sugar!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah tomorrow morning @Gelati. I can't wait.

That's right Messina is very rich. Love the choc ice cream so rich and a bit bitter. I love bitter choc,

Been having a mandarin and an apple everyday. That's my 2 serves of fruit a day. I need to eat more veggie

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 serves of carb aren't a lot. I am reading the GD diet guide. They don't suggest to cut out pasta or rice completely but to spread evenly throughout the day. I have a friend just like my mom (although my mom doesn't know I have GD) who just told me to stop all rice, pasta and bread early on. I honestly think it won't prevent GD at all by cutting all out. I am not obese, normal BMI. It is all in the family. Father side cousins have type II. They r obese. Mother side aunt has GD. She isn't obese. My parents? No idea because they rarely tell me anything about their health. However, they have told us to limit our sugar intake since we were young. That's why I automatically just assume it runs in the family and get tested every year. All have been good until this pregnancy.

I must admit. Perhaps some Asian foods aren't too healthy. Too oily. But once or twice a week, I thought it won't do any harm. Anyway, it looks like I just have to suck it up and only eat Veges for the rest pregnancy. Lol.