+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Has anyone bought a house as a single parent??

I'm beginning to think about a 5 year plan. I've had a look at realestate and I think I'd be better off building another house. I built with my exH but obviously this time it would be a much smaller house. I'm not concerned about anything flash - just standard will suit us wonderfully.

So I'm wondering if anyone has got a mortgage as a single parent. I'm only working part time but between that and government payments I could easily afford it. Does anyone know if banks look at CL payments?? I can go back to work in a couple of years FT but I wouldn't until DS2 is in year 1.

So who's done it?? Or looked into it?? Am I crazy??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe ask your bank? It's great to have a 5 year plan. Maybe I should do that. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope not crazy 😊

I bought my first house as a single parent, working part time and CL

I bought my second house as a single parent working fulltime (second mortgage, still owned first house at the time).

Banks will lend you money 👍

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (18-01-2015),SpecialK  (18-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    Nope not crazy 😊

I bought my first house as a single parent, working part time and CL

I bought my second house as a single parent working fulltime (second mortgage, still owned first house at the time).

Banks will lend you money 👍
    Do you mind me asking which bank??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought my house as a single parent, working part time and CL. I got my loan with NAB. They've been great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    I bought my house as a single parent, working part time and CL. I got my loan with NAB. They've been great.
    Did you have much of a deposit??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 10%, but I borrowed 95% and used the extra cash to fix things up on the house. 2 years later, and my loan is down to 76% of the loan. I obviously had to pay LMI. It was around $2.5k I think.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (19-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I kinda did.
    When my ex left, I got the house, which meant I had to have it re-mortgaged in my name. Which as I found out, means applying for a homeloan from scratch.

I was only working PT, so CL and even CS was taken into account. I was only approved for $200k though (which was exactly how much I needed).

I have now sold that house for financial reasons and basically ended up with nothing.

In my area now there is no way I'd be able to buy a house. So I guess it really depends on the house prices in your area.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (19-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on which bank you go to. Some banks won't accept centrelink payments. I would strongly recommend chatting with a lender at your local bank, getting them to do a borrowing capacity on your income, so you know if/what you can borrow. They take a number of factors into consideration when evaluating your lending criteria. I would aim for at least a 10% deposit, as a single income family your borrowing capacity will be lower, therefore your surplus income after taking into consideration living expenses, any existing debts & the costs of the proposed mortgage may deem you as a slightly higher risk. Contributing a larger deposit will work in your favour. Chat to your local lender, they will be able to let you know what income they can take into consideration. It's definitely achievable - best of luck!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (19-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey thanks so much for responding ladies. I've mulled over this for a while and I'm thinking that I'm going to knuckle down and do some serious saving for the next 3 years. I'll probably go back to FT then or at least increase my fraction. After a few lengthy phone calls with a couple of wise friends I've decided not to rush into it just yet. I'm on a good wicket in an NRAS place with rent assistance to my rent in minimal. I'm really in a good position to save if I stop wasting money. I'm really great at budgeting when I have a goal so this is it. I hoping to save $30000 in 3 years. I think it's doable.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (19-01-2015),mrsboyts  (19-01-2015)