+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sleeping bags and a cold baby

I've just got DS into sleeping bags but I think he might be a bit of cold frog because he keeps waking up around 4/5am freezing cold. He's in a 1 TOG with full onesie, socks, and singlet underneath, but this isn't cutting it. I've put him in a much thicker sleeping bag too (with no TOG rating) but he isn't warm enough in that either. I've tried mittens or onesies with hand coverings but he sticks his hands in his mouth and makes them soggy, so that doesn't help.

His little hands are like ice blocks when he wakes, I end up sticking blankets over him but I find that still doesn't warm up the top half of him. Should he go into a 2.5? I thought they were just for winter?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know roughly what temp the room is? My dd used to have freezing hands but I understood that was normal and not an indication that she was cold. However I agree that if he's waking at that time every night it could be because he's cold.
    Might be worth trying the higher tog bag and seeing if it makes a difference. Sorry that wasn't much help! I'm interested in what others have to say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Without knowing the room temp its hard to advise.

My DS is in a 1tog bag at night in just a tshirt & nappy underneath during summer.
    Daytime its a tshirt and 0.5tog bag

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2.5 togs are sold as being quite warm but apparently an average doona will be anywhere from 10 to 20. I got a 3.5 last winter and still needed to rug up DS and use the oil heater in his room. Maybe choose a breathable 2.5 tog - eg wool or bamboo - and that way he'll be warm but you won't be as worried about him overheating?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the opposite problem at the moment, I have DS in the thinnest bamboo muslin bag I can find and a just a nappy or short onesie underneath but I still worry he's too warm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a room thermometer but at a guess, room temp maybe 18-20ish overnight? I'm under the doona in a long sleeve nightie is that helps! We've had a few really warm nights where just a singlet and nappy has done it, but the last week and half its been 12/14 overnight (not that cold inside though).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleeping bags and a cold baby

At the moment my DD in is shorts and tshirt pjs with a jumper and a 2.5tog sleepbag. It's currently 21 in her room but the outside temp says low of 10 overnight so it'll be getting cooler. She has cold hands in the morning but it doesn't seem to bother her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use a 2.5tog sleeping bag and blankets. His room is about 22 degrees most nights. I def think you should give the higher tog a try. I would highly recommend looking around at bags and getting one that is 100%cotton or bamboo tho. X

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Gabriel79  (19-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok if you're cold enough to be under a doona with long sleeves then def try the warmer sleeping bag.
    Babies are usually colder than us so i usually try and think if that when im dressing DS for bed.

Ie: he is in a tshirt & 1tog bag - we are in underwear with just a sheet on & willing the fan to cool us

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (19-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks everyone. He's in a cotton sleeping bag at the moment, I don't have any 2.5 TOG bags yet but will go take a look today.