+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default sleep issues

Hi everyone

My almost 4 month old is a catnapper during day (can sometimes resettle for a longer nap) but he also wakes at night and wont go back go sleep unless fed (I am ok with this as he is still young) however come 3 or 4am he will not resettle back to sleep even if fed. Does anyone have any tips. Doesn't seem to matter what time he falls asleep for the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortubately at this age their sleep cycles change from being in a constant deep sleep to cycles that last about 40 minutes. So if you are feeding,rocking or anything else to sleep and bub wakes up after one sleep cycle, they won't know how to get back to sleep without it. That might be the cause of the cat napping and waking in the night, so it is worth thinking about whether you are okay doing this every time they wake or whether you'd like to try encourage baby to self settle. As for the 3 or 4 waking.. would the sun be coming up then? My baby used to wake at 4 or 5 consistently and it was because shr was either getting cokd or it was starting to get light then. I fixed the problem by putting newspaper on the windows,or if you would like a less ugly version you can get portable blackout curtains lol. Also worth noting that tired babies don't sleep well. Once I helped my babies cat napping and she was getting decent day sleep she started sleeping better at night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am putting him down awake. He has a dummy and comfortor. At 3 and 4 it is not light in his room. I've tried more blankets...less... fan air con on and off. It's the same every morning no matter what i do. Just don't get it..and it is exhausting me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My now 7 month old DS did this around 4 months too. I tried everything I could think of - more blankets, less blankets, block out window coverings , feeding and resettling and getting my DH to resettle him without a feed. In the end, he just seemed to get past it by himself and now goes through to 6/7am.

Bottom line is that my only advice is to persevere!

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When he won't go back to sleep at 4am does he cry?
    Or is he happy/content/playing?

When our girl (nearly 6 months) wakes up early she sometimes goes back to sleep after a feed, but sometimes not, and she's happy to just lie there and play with a blanket or hold my hand (she's in a side-car cot). She gets a bit chatty but I still manage to go back to sleep myself.

If he's happy, could you try leave him as he is instead of trying to get him back to sleep? If he's safe & content in his cot does it matter if he is not asleep? If you have a baby monitor then you could go back to sleep yourself; I'm sure he would wake you if he needs you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No he cries...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RAV2014 For This Useful Post:

debsch  (19-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 18 month takes forever to fall asleep playing in his cot then gets up and screams wat do I do it's been goin on for a few weeks now