+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Has anyone ever accessed their Super early?

Is it easy? How badly in debt/trouble do you have to be?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes. Twice.
    After our daughter was born and diagnosed with a rare genetic syndrome everything changed.
    It depends on what you are trying to do.
    We accessed it to pay our mortgage. I think it's much harder if you try to do it to pay credit card debt etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have bills backed up that are months overdue, and now getting past $3000. It's affecting our ability to buy groceries and fuel as I'm just constantly paying bills! Getting a bit worried, especially now I'm pregnant again. However, we both work in permanent jobs, no Centrelink benefits (except child benefit for DS), so I read somewhere you have to be getting Centrelink for longer than 28 weeks or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eligibility for the early release of superannuation

Superannuation cannot generally be accessed before a person reaches their preservation age. In some limited circumstances the law allows for early access to superannuation. Most of the grounds under which early access is permitted are administered directly by the superannuation funds. These include:
    • severe financial hardship
    • terminal illness
    • permanent incapacity
    • balances of $200 or less
    • permanent departure from Australia
    If you believe you meet any of these you should contact your superannuation fund.

You can apply for early release of superannuation benefits on the grounds of severe financial hardship. Applications are made direct to your superannuation fund.
    To support your application, you can request a confirmation letter from any service centre or by contacting us. The letter is only valid for 21 days from the date of issue and confirms that you meet specific criteria, i.e. that you have received an eligible income support payment for the required period.
    Alternatively, your superannuation fund may be able to check your eligibility using the Customer Confirmation eService if you have given them permission to do so.

We also recommend that you contact us if you or your partner receive a Centrelink payment. A release may impact any benefits you or your partner receive including, but not limited to, Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit or an Income Support Payment.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Based on your circumstances I doubt you'll get it.
    I would check out the link above.
    Your fund can release money. But yeah. .. You generally need to be accessing Centre link benefits for accessing it due to financial hardship.

We went through center link under compassionate grounds for early release for our mortgage which has a different eligibility criteria.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (17-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks TeBe. It seems like it is specific to which fund you are with. Mine states
    - you are currently receiving Australian Government income support payments (such as Newstart), and have been receiving them for a continuous period of 26 weeks. You must provide a Q230 form from Centrelink (or a Q251, if over 55). Receiving Austudy or Youth Allowance (if you are studying full-time) does not meet this requirement, and
    are unable to meet your reasonable and immediate family living expenses from your income.

Not sure if Family Tax benefits would be included in this.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone ever accessed their Super early?

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    Is it easy? How badly in debt/trouble do you have to be?

Thanks
    I work for a superannuation company and had many many clients trying to access super early. Unfortunately it is a difficult process.
    Under "financial hardship" you do need to be on a centrelink income support payment for at least 26 weeks (continuous - no break in payments)
    If that's the case contact your super fund for a withdrawal form for this reason, you will need to supply your CRN, all bills you have that are dated within the last 3 months. Many don't require the Q230 letter from centrelink anymore.

If you are applying under compassionate grounds (possible loss of mortgage, needed for urgent medical care etc) you will have to contact DHS early release department. they will take your situation into consideration and decide whether or not you can access it and how much. They will give you a letter and you will have to provide this to your super fund.
    Also keep in mind that early release of super is taxed at 21.5% eg if you are approved for $10,000 you will only get $7850 into your bank account.

If you aren't eligible for this you can contact your bank (if you haven't already) and mention financial hardship. They should help you.

ETA I'm 90% sure FTB doesn't make you eligible to release under financial hardship grounds. (I've been on maternity leave since April last year though)
    Last edited by azelqra; 17-01-2015 at 11:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Based on your circumstances I doubt you'll get it.
    I would check out the link above.
    Your fund can release money. But yeah. .. You generally need to be accessing Centre link benefits for accessing it due to financial hardship.

We went through center link under compassionate grounds for early release for our mortgage which has a different eligibility criteria.
    Thanks TamTam. I didn't think we would be eligible but thought I'd check with others! Which is annoying because technically it's our own money but I suppose if it were easy everybody would do it and then be broke at retirement! Probably a good thing 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    Thanks TamTam. I didn't think we would be eligible but thought I'd check with others! Which is annoying because technically it's our own money but I suppose if it were easy everybody would do it and then be broke at retirement! Probably a good thing 😊
    Yeah I'm no expert. Perhaps worth calling them.

I know my circumstances were a little unique with our daughters medical needs and we specifically applied for mortgage assistance. So I'm not 100% on what the alternatives are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrazelna View Post
    I work for a superannuation company and had many many clients trying to access super early. Unfortunately it is a difficult process.
    Under "financial hardship" you do need to be on a centrelink income support payment for at least 26 weeks (continuous - no break in payments)
    If that's the case contact your super fund for a withdrawal form for this reason, you will need to supply your CRN, all bills you have that are dated within the last 3 months. Many don't require the Q230 letter from centrelink anymore.

If you are applying under compassionate grounds (possible loss of mortgage, needed for urgent medical care etc) you will have to contact DHS early release department. they will take your situation into consideration and decide whether or not you can access it and how much. They will give you a letter and you will have to provide this to your super fund.
    Also keep in mind that early release of super is taxed at 21.5% eg if you are approved for $10,000 you will only get $7850 into your bank account.

If you aren't eligible for this you can contact your bank (if you haven't already) and mention financial hardship. They should help you.
    Thanks for that great info! I think I'll give it a miss, it sounds like a difficult process and I doubt we'd be approved anyway. Hopefully we can struggle through for a few more months and get these bills paid!