+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Would you say anything? (child care related)

So DS has graduated to the over 2 room since going back last week. It's possible that I'm feeling a bit prickly because they've stuffed me around a lot with his transition (he's 2 and 1/4) so I'm wondering if these things are all normal/acceptable with care in this age group or if I should say something:

He's gone home twice in two weeks with pooey nappies. One had clearly been there a while.

Yesterday when I picked him up he was in totally different clothes and no shoes, which is fine, he'd been a bit too enthusiastic with water play. They told me his clothes were in his bag. When I got home I discovered his shoes weren't there. I know I should have checked, but when I asked this morning no one seemed to know where they were or where I could look.

I'm fairly sure they didn't refill his water bottle at all today (warm and sunny) given how much he is drinking this evening.

Twice they've forgotten to record when he woke from his naps and couldn't remember when I asked.

Today when I picked him up his bag was empty and lying in the middle of the floor and his spare clothes were gone. They said sometimes kids just pick them up and go through them. Which I get but wouldn't someone intercept or follow up?

Whenever I ask how his day was the usual response is 'I'm not sure, I haven't been in here long.' Don't they have any handover at all?

They don't record his eating anywhere and when I ask they don't really know if he ate or how much etc.

The U2 room was diligent about keeping records and wrote a little note every day about how he'd been so I'm thinking maybe it's just different age groups? I don't want to be one of those annoying mums but it worries me about because they are nowhere near capacity atm as it's still holidays. He's new in that room and I would hope they were taking a bit of extra notice of him as they get to know him and things like that.

So are these things minor or would you say something? DS is happy and fine when I pick him up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I found when DS2 moved up to the over 2 room they didn't note take like they did in the younger rooms. He's moving into kindy next week (he's 3 turning 4) and I'd imagine it'll be even less. I never asked for too many details though just 'did he sleep' and I knew what he'd eat for lunch each day anyway as we have to pack their lunches. I felt a little uneasy with two poo nappies myself ... But thankfully he toilet trained soon after so it was never an issue again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be unhappy with several of the things you mentioned.

No hand over and being unable to talk about his day wouldn't go well with me. Pooey nappies would be a phone call to the centre director - that is not ok. DS had pooey nappies a few times I went to pick him up and I would ask for him to be chanted before leaving - he wasn't going to sit in a car in it.

It sounds pretty sloppy, I don't think you're over reacting at all.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have 2 days childcare experience and that seems off to me.
    Even if naps are not something they pay close attention to, surely whether a child ate or drank, had a nappy change, and the general direction of their belongings wouldn't be too much to ask!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It does sound a bit off, especially the pooey nappy thing and not refilling the water bottle. But things probably are a bit hectic for them, getting to know new kids, and they've probably gone from a group of 3yo's at the end of the year to a group of 2yo's that need a whole lot more help and supervision.
    It wouldn't hurt to say something, I remember my DS1 coming home from childcare super thirsty at that age because they had a bubbler tap to use when they were outside rather than water bottles, but I don't think he figured it out for quite a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    All things you mentioned would be unacceptable at my centre. I run the kindergarten program and I am very detailed with my program and observations etc.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (17-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be happy. At all. I think a quick friendly word with the group leader in that room would clear it up.
    My DD was 2 in November but she's still in toddler room. I was very specific about that. She started back this week and I found out she'd been in the other room all day on Tuesday. I just kindly told them I wasn't happy with that and that I don't really want it happening as she is very happy and comfortable in the toddler room.
    I think you can be polite but express your concerns. Pooey nappies and no water isn't very good.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ok thanks all. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and talk to someone. I wasn't informed about a morning tea they had to meet the new educators last year so I don't have a relationship with any of them really. @beccaboobang would it be weird if spoke to his primary carer from U2 considering she is supposed to be kind of overseeing it all and making sure he's transitioning ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 is 4 and has been in each if the rooms at her daycare over the years.
    They always have noted her food intake and nap times when she was in the baby r toddler room her nappy changes or toileting attempts were also documented.

I often have problems tracking down her shoes & hat but i blame that on DD2 and make a habit of checking her bag meticulously before we leave and put a note on the sign in book of anything thats missing.

Depending on what time i pick up i dont always get a run down on her day if her usual teachers have clocked off but now she is 4 i dont mind cause she tells me anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    Ok thanks all. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and talk to someone. I wasn't informed about a morning tea they had to meet the new educators last year so I don't have a relationship with any of them really. @beccaboobang would it be weird if spoke to his primary carer from U2 considering she is supposed to be kind of overseeing it all and making sure he's transitioning ok?
    Definitely not weird as you have an established relationship with them. They SHOULD then have a chat to the educators and the director about concerns. There should be some sort of chain for concerns.