+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    MIL told me dont worry bout formula just give bubs condensed milk. I mean really lady?.
    In my blue book from when I was a baby 35+ yrs ago the health nurse wrote to give evaporated milk, lactose, sugar in the milk and maltogen and I wasn't even 3 mths old. They did things very differently back then, can you imagine doing that now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    In my blue book from when I was a baby 35+ yrs ago the health nurse wrote to give evaporated milk, lactose, sugar in the milk and maltogen and I wasn't even 3 mths old. They did things very differently back then, can you imagine doing that now.
    It was very common 30ish years ago for babies who werent breastfed to be put on 'carnation milk' (instead of formula like we do today. A lot of people think that carnation milk wad condensed milk, but it definitely wasnt - imagine how thick &sweet it would have been for a baby! It was evaporated milk that was used. I was fed tinned evaporated milk from a few weeks old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just asked mum and MIL this and neither had heard of giving babies carnation milk - between them they had babies from 1970-1982 so it may not have been that common , we were all breastfed but MIL formula fed all her 3 m

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I just asked mum and MIL this and neither had heard of giving babies carnation milk - between them they had babies from 1970-1982 so it may not have been that common , we were all breastfed but MIL formula fed all her 3 m
    I don't think I was breastfed I'm only going what's in my adoption records but I did notice it was advice given during times I was losing weight so maybe it was a fattening up thing. My mum (adoptive) had two kids and never did it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister was born in 73 and was fed sunshine powdered milk on clinic nurse advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a 1970 baby and Mum said she fed me Lactigen and sugar mixed with boiled water. Oh Lordy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother was born in '72 and when my parents adopted him he was being fed carnation evaporated milk, but my mum changed him over to formula, she seems to think that they did this because it was cheaper than formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know someone who is giving their baby carnation milk watered down. It's a breastfeed baby but starting to wean and doesn't like formulas

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a late 70's baby and I have my infant health booklet right here showing all the health advice my mum was given in my first 2 years of life, including carnation milk "offered on a spoon" at approx 6 months of age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by two souls View Post
    I know someone who is giving their baby carnation milk watered down. It's a breastfeed baby but starting to wean and doesn't like formulas
    That's kinda pointless isn't it? Carnation is evaporated milk - so milk with some water taken out. Then they put water back in. Wouldn't it be easier to just use milk? Doesn't make sense to me.