+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Early riser- do I just cope with it or can it be helped?

MY daughter is 2 next month. She sleeps through the night and in a cot. She does have a dummy for sleep time only. She has been an early riser for a while and at the moment, it's 5 am (sometimes 4.45am). My step kids are also waking then and it's far too early for school age children and it's negatively impacting on them (as well as being a royal PIA for us!)

I think it is more to do with her schedule being out of whack than anything else. For example she goes to bed at 6pm and sleeps until 5am. During the day she will sleep anywhere from 2-3.5 hours which I suspect may be too much.

I am bordering on just accepting this but it is challenging for the other kids. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I'd be trying to move the bedtime until 7pm. Maybe in gradual increments. May need to tweak the daytime sleep to to enable a later bedtime. 11 hrs solid sleep is good, so if you can get 7-6 that would be great. However with my two kids a later bedtime still means waking at 5am. Early rising is notoriously hard to stop. I would attempt to change it but be prepared that it may not make a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Early riser- do I just cope with it or can it be helped?

I agree, maybe try waking her after 2 hours max, and not too late in the day. I always get my 23 month old up by 3 at the latest.

Do you have blackout blinds or sheeting on the window?

Is she eating a good dinner?

It may or may not improve, my sisters kids have woken at 5 am since day dot and nothing has changed it. Mine have always been 7ish, I think it's just a body clock thing.

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried a groclock?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well fitting block out blinds can help a lot.
    All of my kids have well fitting blinds on their windows plus curtains to block out any light.

My DS is 21mths he sleeps from 730pm to 730am with a 2/2.5 nap from midday till 2/230pm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our 2yr old boy's bedtime is around 7-7:30pm and he usually has a 1-2hr nap after lunch between 12-2pm. And then he sleeps till 7-7:30pm. He used to get up earlier. One of my tactics (doesn't work in summer) was to tell him that it's still dark and still time for sleeping.

If his nap is longer than 2hrs I will go in to the room and start putting clothes away or something noisy. If he still doesn't wake up I gently wake him up with cuddles. I also don't let him sleep later than 2-2:30pm.

My advice would be to move bedtime back by one hour and cut naps down an hour... gradually, over time, and you might see her regain those lost two hours of sleep by sleeping longer in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post

It may or may not improve, my sisters kids have woken at 5 am since day dot and nothing has changed it. Mine have always been 7ish, I think it's just a body clock thing.

Goodluck!
    This is me my ds1 who is now 7 from the day he was born had been an early riser nothing I have tried worked no matter how late he went to bed he would wake at any time from 5 am even now the latest he sleeps in is about 6.30 am. DS2 who is 2 is looking to be the same his normal wake up is 5.30 am

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is the same ..... He could wake up anywhere after 430am....sleeps through from 7ish. He used to wake frequently so I'm stoked he is sleeping through, but even til 5 would be nice! I end up taking him for a drive.... I get a drive through coffee & then he is usually asleep by time I get home. He's much better for it. If we stayed at home, he would wake my other 2 kids, & I don't want to deal with 3 tired kids. My older son woke early & we just resigned ourselves to it eventually. Hang in there....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I was going to suggest black out blinds or curtains too. Also maybe some white noise to block out the birds? Often birds chirping can wake my DD up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think 3.5 hour nap is way too long. I wake my 2yo up after 2/2.5 hours max unless she's sick or really tired. She goes to bed at 6:30/7 and wakes up between 6:30/7, sometimes 7:30.

I think at 2 they just start to need less sleep. My daughter turned 2 a month ago and woke at 5:45 one day and before 6:30 on a few other occasions so I cut her nap back to 2 hours most days and now she hasn't woken up early since then.

She he will probably wake everyone up at 6am now that I've said this
    Last edited by BigRedV; 16-01-2015 at 21:48.