+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Stopping male dog peeing on certain things

I have a 3.5 year old male miniature schnauzer and he insists on peeing on my daughters play equipment. I don't care if he pees on the house or shed or clothesline pole or plants but I just want him to stay away from the slide in particular, as it pools at the bottom and goes sticky and brown on hot days (vomit!). I read somewhere that amonia can work if you spray it where you don't want them to pee but it went on to say it can make it more appealing to some dogs (plus I don't like the idea of my daughters skin coming into contact with it)! It also suggested vinegar but that didn't make a difference.

Can anyone suggest something to deter him from peeing in certain areas? Something that won't harm my toddler if she comes in contact with it.
    Last edited by JR03; 16-01-2015 at 11:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a product available in WA called 'get off my garden'

Not sure if it's for sale over east, but one to look out for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Biozet made into a paste will "kill" the enzymes that make the smell. Leave it on overnight then wash off.
    Ammonia or bleach wont work as it smells like urine and encourages them to pee there again.

The other thing is being plastic it would have absorbed the smell of the urine which again is encouraging him to go back. That is why the vinegar wouldnt have worked You need to get rid of the smell then work on keeping him away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Use positive reinforcement to train him to stay away. It'll be hard work and take some time.