+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I havent tried holding his hands or eyes almost closed Mad, ill definitely try that out over the next few days!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Dont worry then ill hold him till my neck gets so bad that I cant even pick him up anymore. I wish I had a 'perfect' baby like everyone else obviously does.
    I understand that you're probably at your tether with his sleeping, but the previous posters were just trying to offer some advice. It is true that whatever advice you're given isn't likely to work immediately.

I don't advocate cio or cc in any way, but if you're finding there's too much strain on your neck, put bub in the cot and let him have a cry while you readjust yourself or get a break.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

amyd  (16-01-2015),debsch  (15-01-2015),peanutmonkey  (15-01-2015),VicPark  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, have you been calling the sleep school when things are really bad so they can try to bring your appointment closer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent tried holding his hands or eyes almost closed Mad, ill definitely try that out over the next few days!
    Good luck, I will be interested to hear if they help at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes atomicmama & im seeing a psych on saturday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    My ds has always wanted to hold something when he went to sleep whether a dummy, teddy, comforter anything. Now at 16 months he holds his toy cars. Even give him a muslin wrap that smells like you, maybe its more your scent than the rocking.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS used to only ever sleep on me during the day. I finally had enough as I wanted to get stuff done during the day too and have a break. I decided that he was going to sleep in his bassinet and that was that. I put him in there, patted, shushed and stayed by his side. When his cries got too much, I would pick him up, calm him down, put him back down when he was calm and start again. It took a good 3 or 4 days for him to get the idea that he wasn't going to sleep on me anymore. The first 2 days were hell and he cried, I cried, but by the end of the second day I had succeeded in getting some short naps in his bassinet. By day 4 he had got the idea and we haven't looked back.

I have recently gone through getting him into a sleeping bag. It took longer this time (more like a week) but he's got the idea that he isn't going to be wrapped anymore. Again we had sleepless days and nights, crying, and he was just generally unsettled, but he's got it now.

Holding his hands and/or covering his eyes, and stroking his forehead/down his nose helps me get him to go to sleep in his own bed. This might help your bub feel more settled and secure in his own cot.

I hope sleep school helps you - maybe when you try a new method at home, start it at the beginning of a weekend when your DH is home so he can help and give support when the going gets tough. It's hard but in the grand scheme of things babies learn very quickly and then it's over. He will learn to settle and sleep in his cot without you, but it won't be easy getting there. Just be persistent and think what the end goal is, that is easier for everyone.

Good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Can you try to get a bit of a rocking motion/rhythm going while both of you are laying on the bed or mattress on the floor and see if you can get him to nod off that way? It may take a bit to get him used to it but it may save your neck while you are waiting for sleep school?

I used to feed mine to sleep on the bed at your DS's age and rock my foot which lulled them off to sleep. Then I'd ease my arm out (occaionally I couldn't so I'd keep my arm under their neck and either nap myself or read for a bit but most of the time I could) and then sneak out with my fingers and toes crossed!

I always found transferring really difficult (pretty much impossible) for two out of my three, either the movement or the change in temperature (from my warm arms to a cooler cot/bed sheet) would have them popping their eyes open within seconds. If they fell asleep in the car then I just sat in the car while they slept because transferring was futile. The other one though was easily moved - they're all different! I guess what I'm trying to suggest is that if transferring isn't working for your little one then maybe trying to gently adjust where/how you're putting them down may be more useful. I do agree with a PP though that any change will take time and some periods of crying/unsettledness - even the most gentle methods.

I hope that you can find something that can help while you wait for sleep school xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dont worry then ill hold him till my neck gets so bad that I cant even pick him up anymore. I wish I had a 'perfect' baby like everyone else obviously does.
    Hang on, are you getting sh!tty because strangers on a forum can't magically solve a six month old learnt behaviour with a single reply?

I understand you are frustrated and have anxiety issues, but you have consistently been getting honest and/or reasonable advice or opinion from a variety of people, all concerned for you, offering links to resources for your anxiety, DS's sleep issues etc, so I would think twice before being so rude about it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im still not sure if im putting him down at the right time though, I honestly can't tell when hes tired till its too late. Thats why im waiting for sleep school before I start trying to teach him to self settle cause we wont get anywhere if he's already overtired.