+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for transferring

Any tips for transferring?? I currently rock ds to sleep & then hold him but ive really hurt my neck, im in a lot of pain & I dont think I can keep holding him for all of his naps anymore.

Every time I try he wakes up either when I stand up or when I put him down in the cot & wont go back to sleep. I even tried waiting for half an hour before trying to transfer him & he woke up.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    do you have some sort of bed or cot that you don't have to bend to put him down into. ?? can you let him sleep safely on your bed so you can just slide him off you.? with a barrier attached to the bed for safety. if he wont come to harm would he be ok to let him sleep on the floor? I don't know what else to suggest. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id be happy to sleep him on a mattress on the floir but getting him there is the problem - he literally wont go to sleep unless I rock him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How old is your little one? I know it's such a controversial issue and one that many people hate but honestly teaching them to go to sleep on their own is the best thing you can do (well it was for us). We did it at 5 months as he would wake at least hourly during the night crying for no apparent reason and we were at our wits end. Within 2 weeks he was sleeping through the night and still does. Even if we go on holiday or friends houses we can just put him in his cot for naps and sleep and he doesn't make a sound. He associates his cot with going to sleep and has no problems doing it on his own. I know it's not for everyone but our ds was suffering from not sleeping well and he was so much happier during the day once he starting sleeping better at night.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (15-01-2015),Cicho  (15-01-2015),debsch  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im going to sleep school soon to learn how to get him to sleep on his own, he's 6 months old & ive tried everything, nothing seems to work. I just need to come up with a way to transfer him cause of my neck & its also too hot here today to hold him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What position is he in when he's asleep on you? What do you do when you put him in the cot?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I just need to come up with a way to transfer him cause of my neck & its also too hot here today to hold him.
    Sorry but I agree with PP that teaching him to settle himself in his cot is the solution, not learning how to transfer.

Also, you can't expect there to be something that will work instantly, even if it is a transfer based "solution", any change to what he knows will take multiple attempts / a couple of days and no doubt some tears before he would learn something new.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have said im going to sleep school to learn how to teach him to self settle. I dont know how to do it myself so im getting help. In the meantime I cant keep holding him because ive hurt myself so I need to come up with something, otherwise he just wont be sleeping at all until I go to sleep school which isn't really an option.

My beloved ones he lies across my lap, one arm under his neck. I slip my other arm under his legs, stand up, rocking& singing, then put him in his cot on his side & pat his bum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dont worry then ill hold him till my neck gets so bad that I cant even pick him up anymore. I wish I had a 'perfect' baby like everyone else obviously does.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips for transferring

Not sure if this will help, but with my 5 month old DD, I start sh-sh-sh while she's in my arms, then when I slowly place her in her cot, I keep my eyes almost shut (so she can't make eye contact) and once she's in her cot on her back I put my index fingers in her hands on the mattress next to her head (not restrained though!). Otherwise as she startles when I put her in her cot, she flails her arms around and wakes herself up. I find by giving her something to hold, she relaxes into her sleep position. I keep sh-ing. Once she drifts back off, I slowly remove my fingers, one at a time, then take a step back and stop sh-ing. I find for DD, this works 95% of the time. She often looks quite awake when i transfer her, but quickly closes her eyes again. Hope that makes sense!
    ETA: having said all that, she is currently napping on a boomerang pillow on my lap because I can't be bothered getting up! Hope you find something that works for you, and hope your neck/back improves quickly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad84 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (15-01-2015)