+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is this what they mean by 'ready' to toilet train?

My 19 month year old DSD was visiting the other day and we had an unusual experience. She went down for a nap but woke up 20 minutes later crying and tugging at her nappy, which we've never seen her do before. My DP figured she needed changing and pulled her nappy off, which was a little wet, and she stopped crying. He tried to put another one back on but as soon as he even touched it she started crying. She was standing up on the table crying and playing with herself quite rigorously to the point we were worried she would hurt herself. She point blank refused to have her nappy put back on and this continued for about 10 minutes, until she suddenly peed on the change table with a concentrated look on her face. She was immediately happy and when I grabbed wipes she took some from me and started wiping herself!

My DP asked her mum if she had started toilet training, as we thought maybe they had started and she was crying because we didn't know that she had wanted to use the potty. She quite angrily said they hadn't and she wouldn't start until she was at least 2 because the maternal health nurse told her it would be too stressful for her otherwise.

Would this behavior be a sign of DSD being ready for toilet training? We've never seen anything like it before. She has been helping pull her pants up and stuff for quite awhile too, and tries to barge in the toilet if one of us is using it (kinda embarassing/funny if we have guests haha). In the last month we taught her to wash her hands all by herself, even pushing the step stool into place and everything.

DP spoke to his psychologist and she said it would be good for us to start toilet training, that she will learn just to do it at our house and then when her mother goes to start it will actually be easier on her. It wouldn't be a huge stretch for us anyway with washing accidents as she's already in cloth. I just wanted to get some more opinions about whether her behavior means she's really ready? We don't want to push her too early, but we also want to listen if she's trying to tell us she's ready for this new skill.

Sorry for long post, thanks for reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going to say let her lead you.
    She is showing you she can. If her mother had seen this before and ignored it that is her choice but I agree with the psychologist.
    My ds2 is in cloth, I grew up with brothers and a sister in cloth and I have been told from an early age kids toilet train earlier than kids in disposables.
    Good luck. And good on you for listening to your dsd.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (16-01-2015),Socimama  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a UTI to me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reina83 For This Useful Post:

Socimama  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Reina83 View Post
    Sounds like a UTI to me
    Definitely.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ifonlys For This Useful Post:

Socimama  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Uti also.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Socimama  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I didnt think of that. We will book a drs appointment to find out if it's medical and go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr says no UTI. I guess it's toilet training time then!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Socimama For This Useful Post:

DT75  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Is this what they mean by 'ready' to toilet train?

Good luck. Maybe talk to the mother and work out of its time so you can all do the same thing at both houses. 19 months is young but possible. Toilet training can be very stressful so all new to be on board or it just goes nowhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The mother has recently blown up & told my DP that all parenting decisions are 100% up to her and he's not to try and discuss anything unless it's an emergency. Rough times but I can't do anything to change it. We decided to get a potty & training pants and stuff and just familiarise her with them. If she's interested we can help her use them, otherwise they are there when she's ready. Definitely not pushing her into anything but if it's something she wants to do we're going to support her. She spends about a third of her time here so it's quite significant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a plan