+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting a kitten

Hi all, we've been wanting to adopt a kitten for a while now and are now starting to look for one.

I have 3 children, 6, 5 and 2 and my biggest concern is getting a kitten home then finding out one of them is allergic?

We have one family friend who has two cats, and the kids will occasionally pat them and come into contact with their hair and seem to be ok, but would it be different with a full time cat?

We we visited a kitten today and all kids pet and handled the kitten but I noticed when we left my 2 year old had small red dots around her mouth? Does this mean she may be allergic?

I know i probably sound paranoid but I'd hate to get a kitten home then have to re-home it?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Most rescues will offer a trial period to ensure that allergies etc are sorted before the adoption is finalised.

Im allergic to cats and have always lived with them and even run a cat rescue. Mine is obviously manageable though.
    My symptoms of a reaction is sinus, watery swollen eyes and itchiness all over. Sinus related symptoms are really quite common and can go as far as asthma attacks. I havent ever seen hives but obviously cant rule them out either.

I think the other thing to be aware of is you can be allergic to different "parts" of the cat. EG fur, urine or saliva are common. So sometimes the allergy can be well managed by figuring out what causes the reaction and limiting the exposure.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (14-01-2015)