+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    5. Breastfed few mins each feeding time. Few mins because he only wanted to stay for few minutes not because I wanted him to stay only for few minutes. He gets frustrated if I kept forcing my nipple on him.
    6. He doesnt choke when I feed him while he is half asleep so the problem is not the teat but more on him rushing?
    7. he is due for vacc in few days. Might aswell make an apoointment to ee one of their consultant.
    8. Didnt know I have flat nipples until my mom, grandma, aunty, nurses etc....commented on my nipples.

Thanks
    Reviews
    TamTam. yes...got 4 teats with "S" printed on. Other bottles are designed for newborn and comes with slow flow teat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Redcorset,
    tried that. didnt work. Friend told me that this could be due to his personality (hes only 24days) he likes to rush?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried using a nipple shield when breastfeeding? I have a 26 day old baby and flat nipples and he can't attach without it. When I try without it he has a few sucks before realising there's really not anything in his mouth and pulling away.

I am offering the occasional EBM feed but persisted with the Calma teat (which DD couldn't use, but she never direct breastfed either) which he now gets and switches between nipple shield and Calma teat fine.

150ml every 4 hours is great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    GM01. I am on my way buying nipple shield. Thank you

Eventhou baby is only 24days old he drinks 90ml sometimes 100ml+ every 2 hours or so. I hope this is normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even if he's only feeding for 5 mins at a time, that might be all he needs to be full, they are way more efficient than a pump at getting milk out. He might be getting cranky because he's wanting to comfort suck but still getting milk out if that makes sense, so as a PP suggested, maybe a dummy would help.

It's totally normal for babies to feed more frequently when they are having breastmilk as it is digested very easily and doesn't sit in their tummy like formula does. So don't worry if he's feeding every 2 hours, some babies will do that. My DS was on 2 hourly feeds until he was about 4 months old. If he's wanting to feed more often I'd try putting him on the boob first and then top him up with the bottle if needed. The more often he breastfeeds the more milk you will make.

If the weather is hot, it is also perfectly normal for bub to have short, frequent feeds to quench his thirst. Think of it like an adult sipping water on a hot day, except you are his water bottle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (14-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son used to choke while breastfeeding. This completely stopped when I had his tongue tie corrected. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    GM01...No luck w nipple shield. He latched on few minutes ans started kicking, crying, screaming and tore the shield off...ouchhhh...the flow was too slow and he was getting impatient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds to me like he has a preference for the flow of the bottles and might be an enthusiastic eater too lol. If you are wanting to wean him off the bottles to the breast then I'd definitely try to see a CHN or lactation consultant. Do you have access to getting one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine suggested that I use distraction method. When I feed him I tried shifting his attention from the bottle to myself and thank God it works 9 out of 10 times. I made silly faces and noises, talk to him in my most soothing voice or just talk gibberish as long as he looks at me and not the bottle. He relaxed alot and I can tell from his dry chin, most of the milk got in....yayyyy....Also I found out that when I feed him more often (every hour) or while he is half asleep, he is able to drink his milk with ease. One problem (almost) solved (Im trying to get 10/10) and another one arises.....I could not get enough sleep. I was mostly awake yesterday feeding him every hour or so. Despite lack of sleep time....both mom and bub are happy. Aparently I was told as the baby gets older he will get used to the flow and his sucking-breathing-swallowing wil get better

Despite him doing so well....I'll see a consultant next monday and hopefully find a way to get more sleep.

On top of that, I am still bit concern about his intake since I've been feeding him quite often, even before that he drank quite alot. Ive kept notes on how much he drank and these days he is between 800ml-900ml+.

I am not trying to put my baby on diet, just wanting to make sure that his daily intake is normal. My nephew was on diet (doctor's order) when he was 5 or 6 month old because he was soo big and chubby he was gasping for air while sleeping.

xxoo