+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help...baby choking while feeding

Help.......

My son is 24days old and recently when he drinks his milk he would make loud gulping sound. normally he would gulp for 5 seconds then his face would turn red, started coughing (while still feeding), occasionally cry in frustration or if he didnt cry, he would continue drinking while coughing and spitting milk everywhere. I tried holding him 45degree, stop every few seconds (he gets really mad and started crying), feeding him before he gets hungry, buy anti-colic/choking bottles (countless different brands) nothing seems to work. He doesnt like being breastfed and prefers bottle. I force him to breastfed everyday for few minutes trying to wean him off bottles, he would only stay latched for 5 mins tops. When I gave birth to him I wasnt making enough milk so we reluctantly agreed to baby
    formula (on the 3rd day). I am out of ideas, I do not enjoy feeding time, seeing him turns red and gets frustrated while feeding is breaking my heart ;(

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by MamaAlex; 14-01-2015 at 15:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like it could be a fast letdown? This info might help
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-01-2015),Taiyed  (16-01-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi mamaalex. I think you might be confusing normal breastfeeding patterns with choking/gulping. most mothers don't have very much milk until the third day anyway, bringing in bottles on the third day was way too soon. are you only putting bub on the breast for a few minutes each feed or for a few minutes each day? a 24 day old baby would not be so expierenced with the proper technique for feeding. perhaps a lactation consultant or even your local aba might be able to help with the latching and with him staying on. do you have a local mchn, ? that would be my first point for help. good luck, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. it is still very early days for your breastfeeding journey. marie.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-01-2015),rpie  (14-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just to clarify, is he choking at the breast or on the bottle? Or both?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with previous posters. Seek out a lactation consultant or call ABA maybe. Our your local chn.

Adding though. .. If you're using bottles it might be too fast. . The teat? For bub. What size are you using?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check on the bottle packaging if you still have it what flow teat the bottle came with. For some reason some come with fast flow teats but a bub that young does better with slow flow teats... the fast flow ones can make them seem to choke as the milk comes out a lot with each suck. You can check yourself if you don't have the packaging by squeezing the teat with the botte upside down. Only a little should come out, like droplets. If its running out then its probably a fast flow teat and switching should help.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I had similar problems with my dd1. My milk came in on day 3. She would not latch and preferred bottles (expressed breast milk). After much crying and struggling (kept offering her the breast all day, lots of skin to skin) she finally latched at 8 weeks ( till then it was ebm via spoon feeding and breast). She has choked several times and when I gave her ebm in bottle at 2 weeks and at my breast at 6 weeks she went unresponsive after choking. She grew out of it as she became bigger and better at breast feeding and my milk adjusted to her demands.
    I agree with super granny, see a lactation consultant for help. With dd1 what helped me was lying on my side and feeding.
    It was only when I had dd2 I went to a very sensible paediatrician who told me that it happened to lots of babies. And showed me what to do (better shown by a doctor than described here)
    Hang in there. Breast feeding is learning journey for you and bub. And all is not lost yet you can still switch.
    Good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rpie For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies.
    1. Breastfeeding him generally only lasts 5mins on both breast, he gets frustrated cos I have a flat nipple and since I am only making few ml of milk each day I take it that my milk output is too slow?. He never choke on breast. he would put it in his mouth, suck it few times (while i hold my nipple in position).
    2. I only buy bottle that comes with no choking/slow flow/reduce colic that are designed for newborn. I bought Medela Calma (baby doesnt like the teat), Dr Brown reduce colic, burping and wind...nope...still choking. Pigeon bottle that comes with milk "regulator" ... didnt work. Advent...same thing. I bought few bottles each time and now i have like atleast 12 bottles. Ive checked the teat...some drips each second while pigeon with regulator didnt drip.
    3. Baby ia drinking breast milk expressed everyday. At this stage I am only making 150ml
    every 4 or so hours and he likes 90ml each
    feed.

4. Baby had jaundice on his 2nd day and he cried alot (I cried too cos I wasnt making any milk). He had to stay in hospital for further treatment and released on his 5th day. Reluctantly agreed to formula as they kept talking his blood checking for billirubin level in his blood ;(
    Last edited by MamaAlex; 14-01-2015 at 16:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly 150mls being pumped every 4 hours is a great amount. Plus pumping is not a great indicator of how much you are actually making.
    I would really try to talk mchn or lactation consultant as bub would clearly do better being breastfed if that's your ultimate goal. ... If not finding the right bottle is key.
    With pigeon bottles look for a 's' printed on underside of the teat. An 's' means newborn flow. I'm not sure about the others. Like you. .I bought tons of bottles trying to find this right one. Pigeon worked great for us.

I hope you get some answers soon. .. And maybe someone else here can help you with breastfeeding tips! There is a wealth of information on bub hub! !!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds very frustrating for you. Could you try holding him upright for feeds so he just tilts his head up and that way opening his mouth fully? Have him against your chest facing outward or sit him on your lap and support his neck. Perhaps a visit to cyn could help