+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default unsettled bub

This a little long winded, but please bear with me because I need some advice...

DD is 13 weeks. 2 weeks ago she started to whinge a lot, dribble and suck her fists... all normal... but the whinging started to be more like she was in pain. As she didn't have a fever I thought there's no infection, and maybe she's a very early teether... all of her routine was still the same, nights she was still sleeping from 8pm to 3am, feed then back to sleep until 6am... feeds were the same amount... but then she started to wake at night, then scream like she was in pain and move her head back and forth and grab hold of her face, ears, hair... so I took her to the doctor and she had a slight ear infection - a little fluid in each ear and was given anti biotics. After a few days of the medication, she started to seem a little better, except the meds obviously gave her wind, because she was passing wind like a man! lol. which in turn was giving her a few belly pains which infants friend helped with.

But the anti biotics finished and she still didn't seem 100%, she was still clutching her face, ears, head with her hands... I took her back to the doctor and she said her ears are fine, no more fluid and may just take a few more days to settle down as there may still be a strange sensation in her ears and to just give her Panadol.

She is still screaming in pain, only now and then through the day, but the nights are bad. I am going through so much Panadol it's not funny! she's waking at 12pm, 3am and 6am and the only way to settle her is to give her a bottle and even then she sometimes stops drinking to move around and wriggle like she's in pain and sucks her hands and screams. yesterday her nails were a little long and sharp and she made her mouth bleed!!

I've thought about reflux, but the symptoms don't really match that. I give her infants friend if I think she's got belly pain or if shes unsettled and it seems to calm her down a little for a bit...

she's not a hungry baby, she's content with the bottles she has, so it's not like shes wanting more bottles or she's not ready to start solids...

the worst part is she won't settle for anyone but me... sometimes/occasionally DH will be able to settle her, but very rarely. I go to the gym a couple of times a week so I get a short break, but when i'm home it's just full on all the time. and while she's with DH when i'm out, she screams most of the time and I get home and he's all stressed out too... lol..

I've been trying to keep calm and just accept that I have an unsettled bub who wants a little more attention. My other 2 were cruisy and easy! so 3rd time lucky LOL but now i'm just starting to lose the plot a bit because nothing I do seems to work, no one can settle her. she still seems like she's in pain but the doc said there's nothing she can see... I just don't know what to do... over the last 2 weeks it's just been getting worse and worse... lack of sleep is not helping either...

any advice please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know what is going on there, but maybe try a different GP? It's hard as they can't see anything wrong, but sounds like something is going on, maybe ear related. How long has it been going on for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe get a second opinion. Is she beginning to teeth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry- 2 weeks I see, could be teething too, does the Panadol help much, have u asked GP about using Nurofen?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im not sure of the starting age, but I do know you can give nerofen and panadol at the same time. my first guess would be teething. some babies do start early, and while they might not have any teeth ready to pop through, the teeth moving in the gums causes great pain. drooling, and pulling at their ears and cheeks , and putting everything into the mouth, are all signs of teething. also perhaps some Bonjela for the gums? just to see if it helps instead of the panadol or even with panadol. hugs, the lack of sleep can really cause more problems. , marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It may sound like an early teether and ear infection like the dr said.

Have you tried nurofen? Or infants friend?

As for the sepearation anxiety, maybe you can get hubby to bath her at night and allow him to "bond" or for for bub to get used to someone else also, basically allow them 2 to do things together.

Could you get a 2nd opinion from another dr? Have you been in contact with child and youth center? I don't know where your from but the number is at the back of the blue book.

Could the formula also be upsetting bub?

I'm understanding that bub is just over 3 months so no solids yet?

I know I'm not much help at all, but just try the following if you like and with professional advice.

Changing formula
    Bath more
    Nurofen or infant friends
    I'm really not sure what else to say.

I know personally infants friend was great with my girl when she was unsettled.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds rough OP. :-(

Personally I'd go back to the gp and have her ears rechecked. It sounds like she's still in pain and the ears may not have cleared properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also suggest a second opinion on her ears. My DD had a lot of ear infections after starting daycare and there were many times I took her to the GP, was told her ears were clear (despite her clutching her ears and crying in pain), only to go back in a day or two and she would have an ear infection. It seemed that the pain would appear first, then it would take a few days for the infection to "catch up" and be visible to the GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to try nurofen tonight, it's anti inflamitory so it might make a difference. i'm just going through so much Panadol! I've just tried her with bonjella, she's happy at the moment, so we'll see how long it lasts!

any ideas on the separation anxiety? she's not too bad with her dad, occasionally.., but anyone else and it's just a screamaton! lol she's only 13 weeks, I didn't think they started the separation anxiety for another few months...