+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go with your gut! I would rather pay extra than have my child in a centre with multiple problems. I looked at 8 centres before putting my daughter in, all have vacancies as we have too many centres & each one gave me different vibes for different reasons. Everyone thought I was being too picky but the last one we visited is perfect for her & she loves it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well a bit of an update,

DS has been at this place for 4 days and out of those 4, on 3 of those days, there has been something I've been unhappy about.

Yesterday it was that he had dirty sandy hands whilst having his afternoon tea (when I picked him up)

I asked the woman who works in the office 'what's the deal with the kids washing their hands before eating?'

Her reply was 'they have to wash their hands before eating'

So I said, well my son has been eating orange outside and he's covered in sand, so she says 'oh, that's the only time they don't wash their hands, in the late afternoon when they have their fruit outside'

WTF?

She then goes on to tell me that they use hand sanitiser, but if I want them to wash his hands then she will tell the carers...

Again. WTF? What is that teaching the kids? If you're too lazy to wash hands before your meal, just squirt this hand sanitiser on?

Anyway I told her YES I wanted his hands washed!! Hand sanitiser doesn't get rid of the sand!!

She looked a bit miffed. Argh!!

Anyway DH and I haven't moved him yet obviously, because we haven't found anywhere else for him yet.

We're going to look at a new centre in 2 weeks time which is the only one DH can get there with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    So firstly, DS is 3.5 and started a new daycare.

How do you tell if a child is telling the truth? My DS isn't able to articulate what he wants or what has happened during the day very well.

I usually have to prompt an answer, so after daycare (at the last daycare where he was very happy and so was I) when I picked him up, I would ask "how was your day? Did you have a good time?" And he would say "yes"

Then I would say, "what did you do?" And he replies "ummmm... Nothing!" So then I would say "what about pasting?" Then he would say "yes" and I'd say "did you play with (name)" and he would say "yup!"

Anyway, it's only recently that he's started to go into a bit more detail on what has happened in various situations.

Eg. If he hurts his baby brother, baby starts to cry, I run back into the room to see what's happened and I ask him and he says "nothing" and then if I prompt him and say "why is your brother crying?" He now says "I hurt him" then I say "what happened?" And he says "I hit him/pushed him/kicked him" etc.

Anyway so he's pretty honest in that respect.

He had his first day at a new bigger day care yesterday, I felt uneasy about the centre before I even took him for his first day but unfortunately the other centres I applied for weren't available

Anyway, a few things happened yesterday which I am not happy about but don't want to over react to them either, but this morning he told me, after I tried to get him to talk about whether liked it there or not, that he hit a girl, he was upset and cried and a teacher yelled at him.

From what I could gather, he was playing with a block and she tried to take it away from him so he hit her (he is generally a very gentle and soft natured child and often shy. I've seen him "hit" other kids in the playground in similar circumstances (if someone takes his bike or whatever) but his hit is more like a soft tap.

Anyway he said he was crying and sad because the teacher came and shouted at him. And I asked if she shouted loudly or softly and he said 'loud!"

Besides that, a few other things I was concerned about was

1 when we dropped him off, no one introduced him to any of the kids and the carers didn't really make much of an effort to even introduce themselves to him.

2 when we picked him up, everyone was outside, he was sitting away from everyone on his own, all the kids had bowls with fruit, he didn't. He was the only one who didn't have any. He loves fruit! We went to say hello to him and he asked me if he could have fruit and he also wanted a bowl. One of the carers was sitting right there when we walked in and I'm sure she would have heard him ask, but I still had to go and specifically ask her for some fruit for him and a bowl. She brought over a dirty bowl for him. It had sand/dirt in it and someone small leftover piece of apple. He had been playing in the sandpit at some point and his hands were covered in sand and dirt, no one mentioned anything about him washing his hands before he ate... I found that strange.

He also wanted his water so I went and found his water bottle and it was empty.

When we asked how he went on his first day, all we got was negative feedback and they said it in front of him. They didn't say anything positive they said he cried and kept saying 'no' to everything

I feel upset for DS, it's a big change from family daycare and he would have been a bit overwhelmed with all the changes and more kids etc.

I didn't see the carers really interacting with any of the kids that much, they all just kind of stood around as if waiting for the clock to tick over so they could go home

I am trying to keep an open mind but I just have a weird feeling about this centre

I told dh we should give it a few weeks and see what happens, just want to see if it's possibly because the carers are getting to know the new kids? I don't know
    Can I ask which center this is please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    @SAgirl, can you visit some daycares without your DH? Surely he will trust your judgement? Also, maybe post on BH asking for good centres in your area? (Or don't if it makes you uncomfortable)

I can't believe these things are happening and their excuse is always "oh, that's how it's done". What the hell?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is happy for me to choose a daycare, he does trust my opinion, but I would prefer him to come with because I made the mistake of choosing this one so id be happier if he came with. 4 eyes are better than 2 after all!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    He is happy for me to choose a daycare, he does trust my opinion, but I would prefer him to come with because I made the mistake of choosing this one so id be happier if he came with. 4 eyes are better than 2 after all!!
    Haha, fair enough! It just sucks that you have to leave DS at this one in the meantime. 😞

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I know, I don't want to leave him in this centre, it's just that I'm reluctant to pull him out and move him in case the next place is the same or worse!

One has come up which may be an option, only thing is it's more expensive and we are yet to see it. I've heard it's good though.. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What would you want your mum to do if you were this child?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

FlipFlops  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    What would you want your mum to do if you were this child?
    What do you mean? Are you saying I'm not doing the right thing?

I would want my mum to think about it and make the RIGHT choice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do xx

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (23-01-2015)