+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that 40 minutes in the heat of the day is too much in an unshaded area. At this time of year it's probably too much even if it is shaded.

My day care provides hats and also has spare hats available. Can you ask if they have any until you get one?

I'd keep an eye on how things go and investigate a new centre.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New daycare, I'm not that happy...

At the two different daycare's my DD went to neither of them allowed the kids outside between 11am-2pm in Summer - shade or no shade.
    I disagree that sunscreen should be enough - not in these 12,13,14 uv days

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reina83 For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (16-01-2015),MissMuppet  (16-01-2015),sunnyflower  (23-01-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SAgirl have you looked into family daycare in your area as an option?
    When I was working and had ds1 in care the large daycare centre that was available wasn't suitable and I was very fortunate to find a lovely family daycare mum. He loved it and basically became part of the family, was always happy to go and didn't want to come home most days. It made me feel a lot less guilt about having to leave him, I was able to concentrate on my job and wasn't constantly worrying about him all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Farmboys

He has just finished up at family daycare after being there for 2 years. He loved it but unfortunately he outgrew it and she has also closed for this year as she is renovating her home.

I wanted him in a bigger centre as he is quite shy with other kids and I felt he needed to be around a few more before he started school.

I have been ringing a few places and there are two which have spots.

But now I am wondering, do I stick at the new place for a bit longer to see if things improve or do I just move him?

He's only attended two days so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    This is all unacceptable. Even I don't go out in the sun for 40 minutes in the middle of the day, I'd be burnt to a crisp because I have such fair skin! I think you should trust your instinct and search for other daycare options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd move him. He's only been two days so has not developed a bond with the place or carers yet so it will be easier to move. And I would not be happy with the current centre. He should not be out in the sun in this weather. 2 days, two incidents where the staff did not seem caring, or to have solid processes in place and a seeming lack of 'common sense' even.

My DS did only 2 days in one centre because I wasn't happy and pulling him out has been one of the few parenting decisions I didn't regret.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take him outta there ASAP. I used to run a preschool room and would have been MORTIFIED by any of those incidents happening in my room. Let alone all of them in two days, and to a new family/child just settling in. Does not sound like a safe environment. Try a new centre as fast as you can, and when you go for the interview, ask about their sun smart policy, how they support/transition new children, infection control policy (dirty fruit bowl..). There is a world of difference between a high quality centre and what you are currently experiencing. Good luck.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adoralicious For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (16-01-2015),Reina83  (17-01-2015),sunnyflower  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd move him. You need to be comfortable that he is being looked after properly otherwise you won't be able to concentrate on anything else and he'll hopefully be happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other two daycares I enquired about still have the spots I was offered, only problem is 1 is only school term and I may go back to work, and the other is more expensive which we will struggle to afford. As it is, this one is $30 per week more expensive than the family daycare we were at.

I am going to see one next week, it is the more expensive one (I never went to see it due to the price). Will see what DH says...

There may be other centres around me, I'm sure there are, but the problem is that I don't know anyone who goes there so what if their care is the same as this one or even worse?

It's giving me a headache stressing about it 😥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I put some on before I took him in, they have outside play in blaring sun 3 times per day, apparently around 40 mins at lunch time, as well as first thing in the morning and last thing in arvo.
    no, this time of the year outside play should NOT happen at lunch time,ive worked in pre-schools before and generally their summer routine includes outside play in the mornings and then around 2 -3 if theyre a longer opened centre,

Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    The other two daycares I enquired about still have the spots I was offered, only problem is 1 is only school term and I may go back to work, and the other is more expensive which we will struggle to afford. As it is, this one is $30 per week more expensive than the family daycare we were at.

I am going to see one next week, it is the more expensive one (I never went to see it due to the price). Will see what DH says...

There may be other centres around me, I'm sure there are, but the problem is that I don't know anyone who goes there so what if their care is the same as this one or even worse?

It's giving me a headache stressing about it ������
    I would probably look at putting him back into family daycare, enrolling him in a casual pre-school (2 days a week) and attending a bigger playgroup setting, a few of the thing youve mentioned may be down to his reactions (the fruit thing, he may have said no,they may have been put on the table and him not realised he could have one but if he cried all day the centre should have given you a call and let you know he hadnt settled in)