+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Teething and not interested in food!

My DS is 5 and half months old and he has his two bottom teeth ever since they've come through he isn't interested in eating solids anymore, he used to love eating now he turns away every time I try and starting to do it when I feed him milk.

I took him to get weighed today and he's only put on 400 grams in 2 weeks the child nurse said that it wasn't much and he needs to eat more.

Is this a phase? Will he start eating again soon! Any tips or advice thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No idea about the rest, but 400 grams in 2 weeks is a big weight gain!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (13-01-2015),Clyon  (13-01-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yes keep offering food and he will come around.

You could try nice cold food if his gums are still sore- watermelon, a cheese stick, a finer of cucumber. Really anything straight from the fridge will feel good on sore gums!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (13-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    No idea about the rest, but 400 grams in 2 weeks is a big weight gain!
    My nurse made me feel as though he didn't gain much and I need to keep an eye on it,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    Yes keep offering food and he will come around.

You could try nice cold food if his gums are still sore- watermelon, a cheese stick, a finer of cucumber. Really anything straight from the fridge will feel good on sore gums!
    Okay I'll give them a go I've got teething ring in the fridge and those teething milk bars but I'll give cucumber and watermelon a go!! Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmm, I'd ignore the nurse. Some are fantastic, and others seem to excel only in scaring and worrying new parents.

He'll come back to food eventually. He's only little, and doesn't really need it at this point anyway. I'd try offering various foods (the cold stuff is a great suggestion!), and just not make a fuss if he isn't interested. In all likelihood, it's just a phase and it'll pass. Personally, I'd only be worried if he goes off of his milk for a long period.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (13-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I haven't really worried too much about it, but only worried when the nurse said he needs to gain more weight.. Which I think he's a pretty good weight at the moment.. I just fed him some 6 month food to see if he was bored of the 4 month food and he ate 2 squeezy packets and having milk, I'm not sure but I'll just keep offering everynow an again. Thank you for the advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you look at the weight chart in the red book for hospital you'll notice in the early days they gain heaps quickly and then it tapers off to be more gradual.

No one should be telling you after one weigh in that he needs to eat more. He might have a massive fortnight next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    If you look at the weight chart in the red book for hospital you'll notice in the early days they gain heaps quickly and then it tapers off to be more gradual.

No one should be telling you after one weigh in that he needs to eat more. He might have a massive fortnight next time.
    I've had a look at that and he's been up on the 97th percent for weight but last 2 months he's dropped of heaps, he must be coming to the stage were he's slowed down, he's on the 75th percent now so I have no idea why she said he needs to gain weight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyon View Post
    My DS is 5 and half months old and he has his two bottom teeth ever since they've come through he isn't interested in eating solids anymore, he used to love eating now he turns away every time I try and starting to do it when I feed him milk.

I took him to get weighed today and he's only put on 400 grams in 2 weeks the child nurse said that it wasn't much and he needs to eat more.

Is this a phase? Will he start eating again soon! Any tips or advice thank you!
    My DD is about the same age, her teeth have been giving her hell this last week as well.. she went off her solids for a day or 2 as well. She hasn't cut any teeth they're just swollen and sore.. I kept offering it to her but she didn't want for those couple of days.. however today she was fine and hooked in to her breakfast etc happily.
    I have been putting her dummy in the fridge and when its cool she'll chew on it.. it seems to be giving her a bit of relief.
    Teething is so horrible for them isn't it..