+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Where in Thailand with an 11 month old?

We have booked flights to Phuket for myself, DF and DD, who will be a couple of weeks shy of her first birthday when we go...we are going at the end of October for ten nights. DF and I have been to Phuket before and are comfortable travelling there with DD. We usually stay south of Patong, in the Kata area. However, I am keen to go north of Patong to Khao Lak. But, having never been there before, I am hesitant to book.....has anyone been there? Is it too remote? Is there a good selection of places to eat or are we going to be stuck in the hotel?

Any suggestions/input gratefully received

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been to Phuket about 5 times, usually staying in Patong / Karon. We went in May last year and stayed at Khao Lak for the first time. Totally different vibe to Patong, its very quiet and more family friendly, but we loved it. We went with our 2 kids, and another couple and their 2 kids. Khao Lak is a little further from the airport than Patong is. It took us exactly one hour, luckily we were in an air conditioned mini bus.

We stayed at The Sands by Katathani (if you look on trip advisor you can read the reviews). It was fantastic. It is walking distance to a few restaurants, and then another 500m along is the main shopping/eating areas. We tended to hang out at the resort during they day and then wander into the restaurants in the evening.

Keep an eye on deals.com/luxury escapes etc because The Sands has had a couple of great deals. We got 10 nights accomm, breakfast, 2 dinners, 16 massage vouchers, transfers for $1199.

To be honest, I probably wouldnt stay at any of the hotels any further out than The Sands as they are not walking distance to anything other than a few restaurants that can be accessed by the beach. If you did stay further out, just plan on getting a tuk tuk into the main shopping/eating area.

In terms of your questions, some hotels are remote and you may get stuck there, but if you stay closer to town (check out the vicinity of The Sands on a map and work it out from there) there are loads and loads of restaurants, shopping / market stalls, a couple of supermarkets, a few chemists, Dr surgery, dentist, tailors etc.
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 12-01-2015 at 17:17.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Molros  (12-01-2015)