+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think go with Alexander and then use the nn of Exander. I would think the parents were odd for naming their child Xander and pronouncing the X (and tbh yes I would think they were going for a yooou-neek name) but I would think it was cute as a nn for Alexander.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditch the hyphen Terry
    Just go with Exander or Xander. At least as the boy grows up he will have a normal-looking name and will probably change his own pronunciation to Zander anyway, just to fit in.
    All the best!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Explora For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-01-2015),Lillac  (14-01-2015),terryg  (12-01-2015)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tazz475 View Post
    @Zombie_eyes is your boys name pronounced exander?
    Hell no!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Full House  (12-01-2015),GlitterFarts  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I think a lot of these replies are quite rude and judgemental.

No it's not my choice of name, I prefer these particular names (Xaviar and Xander) to be pronounced correctly, but I would never call someone 'uneducated' for their choice of names.

Every name that exists was once 'made up' and I'm so over seeing people judge others for a 'made up' name. Not every person wants their kid to be called the so called 'popular names' or common names.

My boys both have very unusual names, one is made up. We love their names and so do many other people we bump into along the way, I would feel a bit offended if someone told me they thought I shouldn't name my child a particular name as it was 'made up' etc.

I myself have an unusual name which I constantly had to spell and had to tell people how to pronounce it, yes it was a pain but it's not that big a deal.

OP if you like the name, use it.

Why not still spell it Xander and use your pronunciation of 'Ex-ander'? Many people do that, it's not uncommon. It may be easier and less explaining than having the '-' in there?
    One of my kids has a made up name and I've had some people tell me they don't like it...and that's fine, we love it. However, the difference for me is that it's easy to spell (most people guess it right), and it's easy to read (there is no way it could be mispronounced). It doesn't sound like a mispronounciation of another name. That's my issue with Xander pronounced with an X. I can honestly say I have never heard anyone pronounce Xander with an X...Xavier yes, but not Xander.

I also think most people tried to be nice to the OP and let him down gently. Sorry if it comes across as rude but if someone called their child Xander and prononunced it with an X I would assume (even if my assumption was wrong) that they weren't educated enough to know that it was supposed to be pronounced with a Z. I used to go to school with a girl called Leah, but it was spelt Leia. Her name wasn't Leah at all....it was her parents not realising that Leia and Leah were two different names and they thought they were giving their child a unique and cool spelling to a common name. I don't know what their education status is, but I didn't really get images of highly intelligent parents in my head. When we heard the story about how her name came to be Leia we laughed and asked if her parents were embarrassed that they did something so dumb and would need to live with it for the rest of their lives (horrible yes....but we were obnoxious teens at the time). Xander with an X is going to have people think similar thoughts. As I said before, it's like naming your child Jane, but pronouncing it Jan-e. It just doesn't work.
    Last edited by Full House; 12-01-2015 at 13:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people pronounce Mackay as Mack-a or Mack-I, Goondiwindi as it says or Gundiwindi, the English language varies and is weird look at the word Live it can be pronounced differently and mean different things. I conducted a quick poll at work while most did pronounce it with a Z a couple also said it could be pronounced either way, a most lively and fun debate was had

8. The Following User Says Thank You to terryg For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (12-01-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't get why you don't just go with Alexander? It doesn't sound that much different from Exander (just a little Al sound at the start). You can go with the nickname and your son can choose later in life whether he prefers his full name or a nickname.

I don't go by my full name. I never ever have. But if I wanted to ever, it's there iykwim?

I think you are considering giving a child a nickname as a full name, and I think children ultimately have the right to choose whether or not they want to be known by a nickname or full name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a teacher I'd hate seeing a hyphenated name on the roll - would cause me to pause - but if it said Xander and the kid said "it's pronounced 'Exander'" I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I have a friend named Xenia (Ukrainian) and it's supposed to be said 'Exenia' but most people say the Z sound. She corrects people she will see regularly, doesn't bother when she's just ordering a coffee.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

terryg  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    If you love X-Ander op then go for it. Your son your choice. But I don't agree it can be pronounced Exander. That's like saying phone is pronounced P-hone instead of fone bc you want to and then expecting everyone is not only going to understand you, but should agree you can pronounce it that way. Not everything in the english language is phonemic.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (12-01-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (12-01-2015),terryg  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    If you love X-Ander op then go for it. Your son your choice. But I don't agree it can be pronounced Exander. That's like saying phone is pronounced P-hone instead of fone bc you want to and then expecting everyone is not only going to understand you, but should agree you can pronounce it that way. Not everything in the english language is phonemic.
    I'm going to pronounce phone that way now! Look I can see peoples POV in the situation im in no way a fan of the hyphen however I really like the sound of the X in Xander, sounds pretty strong like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go with Xander
    That way you can call him Exander, but he's got a normal name that he doesn't have to change later when he decides he'd rather just be Xander

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast