+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Xander with the X pronounced - spelling

Hi,

My wife and have found out we are having a boy,we both love the name Xander but would like to pronounce it with the X, would spelling it X-ander, look weird?

Or do we spell it normal and correct people?

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    It would look very silly. How do you say it with an X?

As in ex-and-er as opposed to zand-er?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

terryg  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you should just correct people. I think X-ander is going to be even more confusing!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

terryg  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by terryg View Post
    Hi,

My wife and have found out we are having a boy,we both love the name Xander but would like to pronounce it with the X, would spelling it X-ander, look weird?

Or do we spell it normal and correct people?

Cheers
    Not to sound rude but why do this to your child? No one is going to call your child 'X - ander') without correction, and to be perfectly honest it will make you look uneducated. X-Ander is not a name.
    If you really like it then can I suggest calling your child Alexander and then giving him the nick name of X-Ander. That way he won't spend his whole life correcting people, and people won't ask if his parents were uneducated.

I am so sorry, I know this post isn't very diplomatic. Usually if there is a name I just don't like I don't comment because everyone has different tastes. However, there are some names that you hear and you just think 'why? What were their parents thinking?' Sometimes I've witnessed these questions being asked and the two most common responses I've heard are either 'my parents were on drugs' or 'my parents hated me.' To name you child X-Ander as their actual name....it's one of 'those' names. Sorry.

If you insist that X-Ander is what you want then please don't use the spelling Xander. Your best bet would be X-Ander (I don't like it, but at least if someone was reading it they could hazard a guess that they were supposed to say X. I did consider Exander, but I think you'd get a lot of 'Ezander's.'

ETA - I agree with the others that X-Ander looks silly and will cause confusion...but Xander is pronounced 'Zander' so I just can't imagine giving a child a name with one pronounciation and then expect that child to be called something else. It would be like calling a girl Jane, and expecting people to call her Jan-e.
    Last edited by Full House; 12-01-2015 at 09:47.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-01-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (12-01-2015),LaDiDah  (12-01-2015),MissMuppet  (12-01-2015),Pearlygirl  (12-01-2015),zoz  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah just say X and the ander, I really like the X being pronounced, just thinking about when the little fella is in school I will have to tell the teachers in advance how his name is pronounced

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by terryg View Post
    Yeah just say X and the ander, I really like the X being pronounced, just thinking about when the little fella is in school I will have to tell the teachers in advance how his name is pronounced
    And then for the rest of his life he will have to tell everyone how to spell and pronounce his name. My husband is from another country but chooses to go by the Australian version of his name. He hates the confusion it causes when people try to read his name but it's pronounced differently. He hates it so much he has seriously considered changing his name, but he knows it will devastate his mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty sure people who name their kids X-ander would be a little more educated then people who name twins Benson & Hedges and Schapelle and Chardonay, naming him after Alexander the Great however we both feel as though Xander would be pretty modern and unique, we like the X pronunciation and TBH I would pronounce it like that like I do Xavier, if I wanted Zander I'd spell it Zander like Xavier I would spell it Zavier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, X-ander looks weird.

If you really, really want this name, you might have to use the spelling Exander. If it's spelt Xander, he will have to correct people on the pronunciation regularly.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (12-01-2015),Qwerty  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Degrassi View Post
    Yes, X-ander looks weird.

If you really, really want this name, you might have to use the spelling Exander. If it's spelt Xander, he will have to correct people on the pronunciation regularly.
    This.

Use Exander - then it would give people an idea of how to pronounce it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (12-01-2015)

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it would be silly if you wanted it pronounced x-ander. Not so bad if it was just xander (zander) like the name xavier (zavier).

It sounds as though you have already made up your mind by your response to the pp. If you weren't looking for honest opinions i'm not sure why you asked. He is your little boy, you can name him whatever makes you happy.